Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am currently playing through a half stack, using a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab, and a Behringer V-Ampire Head. Now dont get me wrong, I love it to bits. But for me its not right playing it at low volumes. Not only that, but when I want to transport it, its not as easy as a combo is! But at higher volumes I love it, and the sounds in general are amazing.

But I really want a nice combo, thats versatile. I want it to sound nice at lower volumes, but also be able to handle higher volumes too. Loud enough for small gigs. I play mainly metal too, so it needs to have some crunch and gain.

I am tempted by the Behringer combos, and was tempted by the Line 6 Spider stuff too. But I have heard some awful reports about them cutting out and things. I like Marshalls, but never know where to start because there are so many to choose from!

I would like it to be a decent price too, so no suggestions of Boogies or the likes please. You'll only get me dreaming.

Thanks,
Gary - The.Godfather

P.S. I was always looking at Randall, Laney and the likes too. So if anyone has any recomendations.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I assume you want a low wattage 1x12" combo?

The Fender Blues Jr. is very nice! $400 or so new, $300 used. I chose the Marshall Studio 15 over it (partially because it's discontinued and I figure would become increasingly rare over the years) and that was really good too.... and the price doubled since I bought it but if you check **** you can probably pull one off for $400-500 still.

With either of them you'll have to up the gain for metal. My Java Boost works nicely on the Studio 15. (Plus tubes are CHEAP!)

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Peavey 5150 combo is great for metal, you'll get lots of crunch from this amp. However, due to it's weight, it's not the easiest amp to move around, obviously fitting casters helps ;)
You can get a good used one for about £400 to £500.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I hate to say it, but the Peavey EFX 112 I have sounds pretty nice. The pickup demos I've posted have been done with that amp. Not too expensive either.

The only drawback I've found is that if you use it live you MUST put a mic in front of it. It does nothing beyond about 10 feet.

~K

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you play metal, your defintely right to go with high gain amps. I say, Peavey 5150 Combo, Peavey JSX, Peavey XXX 1x12, Laney VC50 (discontinued but you can probably pick one up from ****) and probably the Marshall DSL 401, the distortion on that amp is not really high gain but with a pedal, solves all the problem

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been looking at the VC50, and it looks nice. I am liking some of the Laney stuff at the moment. Apart from that, I think Im gonna go to my local store and try everything I can. Then see what I think. But I will keep looking in Laney's direction I think.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Laney Tube fusion series. and an Ibanez Tubescreamer ts9. inexpensive, sounds great foe metal and versatile, everything you need. Give it a try im sure you will be impressed.
oh and i just bought a second hand laney tf300 so go for it if you want to be as cool as me. lol

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also going to take a look at the Tech 21 Power Engine. It sounds like its exactly what I am after. I can just run my V-Amp or J-Station straight through it. They have some really good reviews. But I am going out to my local store this week at some point to try everything.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't overlook the Ampeg Vl series. lee jackson deigned, they have a built in attenuator and get great high gain tones. I am not associated with the seller but there is on going for dirt cheap on a well known auction site.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey I've been looking at a tube combo amp as well. Regarding the 5150 combo 212 I was wondering about how the clean channel sounds. I like a nice distortion amp but would like to achieve a good clean sound as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You want good sound at low volumes, right?? Well get the Gibson 5 watt amp. I've never tried one before myself, but I've read lots of awesome reviews about it, and it does seem to fit your requirements well. It's relatively cheap, with low wattage for good tone at low volumes, and its very simple. Only one channel. You could use a distortion pedal for some boost too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
btangel said:
Hey I've been looking at a tube combo amp as well. Regarding the 5150 combo 212 I was wondering about how the clean channel sounds. I like a nice distortion amp but would like to achieve a good clean sound as well.
Sonds pretty good (for me) but not easy to transport...

·
Banned
34 Posts
btangel said:
Not much of a clean. it has a rhythm and lead channel, but you can tweak cleanish sounds from it.

Godfather - Your old OLP sounds good through it. I can't believe how good that guitar sounds. I would recommend the 5150 combo to everyone.

Pros - Awesome sound, very loud, soooo much gain and bass, cuts through the drummer with ease, its all tube

cons - IT WEIGHS A TON (gurj, I nearly put my back out, need castors)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, I did love that OLP, very nice little guitar. I always thought it sounded sweet through anything, so it must sound gorgeous through the 5150.

I would absolutely love a 5150 combo. But it is a little out of my way price wise at the moment. But in a couple of months time, it will be a different story and I do plan to get one.

I went out last week trying amps in my local store, and they had a 2nd hand 5150 combo. I tried it and loved it. I never use clean sounds at all, pure gain all the way for me is all I use. But as I say it was a bit pricey, so I will have to wait a little while and get one towards the end of the summer probably.

But I am glad I have finally found an amp for me. I am going to get rid of my cab and rack stuff now probably to make way for one in the future. I tried others (Line6, Vox, Marshalls, Ibanez) and they didnt really compare to the 5150 for what I wanted tone-wise.

The weight issue is a small grumble to work around. As you said, castors.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The Bogner Shiva (EL34 model) is the only combo amp I've ever been 100% happy with. It's also the only amp that I've ever been confident enough with to use live with nothing else but a tuner between it and the guitar. I've used it for blues gigs, country gigs and rock gigs and it's delivered the goods consistently.

Of course, it's not really a CHEAP amp, but ya get what ya pay for sometimes :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts