Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple links for you all. I'm sure some of you have heard a couple of these songs before, but I wanted to hear what you think of them. More specifically the songs that come up automatically when the page loads. (if you actually download the MP3 it's in better quality than how it plays off the site if that bothers you)

First up is my solo recordings. The song that starts automatically is called "So Much". I'm going to be working on a couple problems in the vocals, but wanted comments on what I have so far.

http://www.myspace.com/eleven59

The other link is for my band. The song that starts automatically is called "Pushing You Away". The doubled vocals we should have left out, but it was 4:00am and we wanted to get it mixed and they sounded good at the time :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/fadedbeauty

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I had a listen to "So Much" and i quite liked it. The mix is really great for the most part, and i love your guitar tones on it. Your voice is pretty good, too... you've got a bit of a Jeff Healy kinda thing happening. :) You have a good sense of melody, though you're a bit off key in a few places.

Structurally, i think the song needs to build a bit more. You should do something with the second verse to make it different from the first one... it would make the song a bit more dynamic and not quite so monotonous. Change the phrasing, add a different layer, do something as a counterpoint to the vocal melody... something.

I'd also suggest maybe adding a stronger chorus. What you're using as the chorus works, but there's no hook. If you added in something after that part, it could really bring the song to life. It would also potentially give you a stronger ending to the song, which was disappointingly weak.

The guitar solo is nicely phrased, but it sounds like it was recorded in a toilet. The reverb totally doesn't sit welll in the rest of the mix, and sounds really odd.

Those are my impressions, for what it's worth. :)

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments :D

darren wilson said:
I had a listen to "So Much" and i quite liked it. The mix is really great for the most part, and i love your guitar tones on it. Your voice is pretty good, too... you've got a bit of a Jeff Healy kinda thing happening. :) You have a good sense of melody, though you're a bit off key in a few places.
Thanks, I'm always really insecure about my singing. Yeah, the off-key bits are what I'll be fixing mainly.

Structurally, i think the song needs to build a bit more. You should do something with the second verse to make it different from the first one... it would make the song a bit more dynamic and not quite so monotonous. Change the phrasing, add a different layer, do something as a counterpoint to the vocal melody... something.
Yeah, I was thinking of adding more (piano maybe when I'm back in school, some textural guitar parts, maybe a harmony vocal in places) to the second verse, and beefing up the vocals in the final chorus.

I'd also suggest maybe adding a stronger chorus. What you're using as the chorus works, but there's no hook. If you added in something after that part, it could really bring the song to life. It would also potentially give you a stronger ending to the song, which was disappointingly weak.
Yeah, I'm definately going to be re-working the chorus a bit. The ending especially.

The guitar solo is nicely phrased, but it sounds like it was recorded in a toilet. The reverb totally doesn't sit welll in the rest of the mix, and sounds really odd.
Yeah, I'm fixing that as well, this is mainly a "rough mix" sort of thing. I'm lacking in decent reverb plugins here so I'm working on finding something more natural.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I also like so much. But I don't think the Jeff Healey voice matches the music too much, with that overdriven/saturated distorted guitar sound. It needs a sing-from-the-gut voice. At least, some variety in your voice from the start, to the middle, to the end. When you sing the same way throughout the song, it gets annoying (a little).

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ibateur said:
I also like so much. But I don't think the Jeff Healey voice matches the music too much, with that overdriven/saturated distorted guitar sound. It needs a sing-from-the-gut voice. At least, some variety in your voice from the start, to the middle, to the end. When you sing the same way throughout the song, it gets annoying (a little).
Yeah, I think I may have even had a cold when I did those vocals :lol: I'm definitely working on my singing (I do backing vocals live with my band so that helps) and hope to do a lot of different stuff when I get back to that song.

·
Registered
484 Posts
sounded pretty cool to me and I found "pushing you away" "naive" and "nothing left" to sound very similar.

Keep up the good work...

Did I hear Marshall ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts