Ibanez JEM Forum banner
541 - 560 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
They should have just stuck to "Prestige" MIJ and standard and lose this "Premium" farce as it gets confusing as it implies the RG "Standard" range for example is a lot of crap, when it used to be the good stuff and the EX was the rubbish.

Having an RG "Prestige", "Premium" and "Standard" for example is just pointless.

Have two options MIJ and made anywhere else :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm actually confused, though I thought I had it right.

Sugi : Japan
Prestige : Fuji : Japan
Iron Label : Indo, but in the Ibby factory
Premium : Indo in the indo factory

Well, I doubt some of that now... please enlighten me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted already or not in here, but my only real gripe regarding the UV lineup is this:
*Reissues the MC's that are way unaffordable to the vast majority of those who wanted even an original, which is half the price. (Also coming to find out that the MCRE's were more a wall decoration than a true playable guitar. FAIL!!!)
*Reissues the 7BK as an affordable model, and everyone goes nuts...
*Continues said reissue trend with the 77WH, and people still going nuts for these.
*Comes out with 3 new models that are true playable guitars, but again with a price tag that the vast majority will never even consider buying...
*Drops the ball epically by NOT reissuing the one UV that 99% of us would love to have and own, the 777GR...

Ibanez has such potential to make up to its avid UV players, fans and fanatics by reissuing this guitar as a Premium like the UV70 & UV71, and still make a small mint from doing so. 2 out of the 4 old models are affordable Reissues, 1 of them was obviously not. What a better way to make it up to those who want one of the rarest UV's, by making it an affordable one like they did with the other 2 classics reissued???

Would I ever consider buying an actual 777GR? Yes. But it better be as mint as humanly possibly for the price I would pay for one - and obviously not MCRE, PSN, WFR, or SVR price tag either. Would have no issue with an original MC price tag for a mint 777GR. But I would also have to at least be some kind do of lottery winner for that to happen. Not logical to spend as much as I owe on my car note for a guitar, no matter what it is or how incredible the quality is.

So does anybody else here feel me on making the 777GR an affordable reissue, and not a pipe dream for only a select, extremely rich few???

·
Vendor
26,718 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted already or not in here, but my only real gripe regarding the UV lineup is this:
*Reissues the MC's that are way unaffordable to the vast majority of those who wanted even an original, which is half the price. (Also coming to find out that the MCRE's were more a wall decoration than a true playable guitar. FAIL!!!)
*Reissues the 7BK as an affordable model, and everyone goes nuts...
*Continues said reissue trend with the 77WH, and people still going nuts for these.
*Comes out with 3 new models that are true playable guitars, but again with a price tag that the vast majority will never even consider buying...
*Drops the ball epically by NOT reissuing the one UV that 99% of us would love to have and own, the 777GR...

Ibanez has such potential to make up to its avid UV players, fans and fanatics by reissuing this guitar as a Premium like the UV70 & UV71, and still make a small mint from doing so. 2 out of the 4 old models are affordable Reissues, 1 of them was obviously not. What a better way to make it up to those who want one of the rarest UV's, by making it an affordable one like they did with the other 2 classics reissued???

Would I ever consider buying an actual 777GR? Yes. But it better be as mint as humanly possibly for the price I would pay for one - and obviously not MCRE, PSN, WFR, or SVR price tag either. Would have no issue with an original MC price tag for a mint 777GR. But I would also have to at least be some kind do of lottery winner for that to happen. Not logical to spend as much as I owe on my car note for a guitar, no matter what it is or how incredible the quality is.

So does anybody else here feel me on making the 777GR an affordable reissue, and not a pipe dream for only a select, extremely rich few???
I remember reading this exact same post nearly a week ago.

News, the Premium UV's do not sell. I'm giving away the PWH's and I'll be giving away the BK's when that time comes. And just in case you didn't realize, the UV became the JEM7V7, it's not cheap but it's not Limited or Sugi. It's what Fujigen built JEM's sell for these days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I remember reading this exact same post nearly a week ago.

News, the Premium UV's do not sell. I'm giving away the PWH's and I'll be giving away the BK's when that time comes. And just in case you didn't realize, the UV became the JEM7V7, it's not cheap but it's not Limited or Sugi. It's what Fujigen built JEM's sell for these days.
I am kinda surprised by that honestly... would have thought that a reissued classic UV that could be had for less than an original would be going like crazy.

To me, the JEM7V7 is not a Universe... it is a 7-string JEM. Despite having the same bridge and configuration as the UV, the vine Inlays are not a UV signature feature. The only things the JEM7V7 has over all the UV's is the monkey grip and lion's claw routes. It doesn't even have the same pickups - Evo 7's vs. Blaze. I don't care for either pickup honestly, but that is neither here nor there. And not limited?? Isn't that another one of those models that they made for like a year or two and then discontinued, like typical Ibanez fashion??? Another one of those Ibanez's that has become a "good luck finding one now" kinda deal?

And I know that the REAL Ibanez stuff goes for. I also know that the economy and whatnot has a large part to play in this as well, but it boils down to the vast majority of the affordable stuff is boring and lacks any inspiration and a longing to have it... Not saying all of it is junk, because I have a few guitars that are basically bottom of the barrel, but are what I have gotten rid of much more pricey, better quality guitars for. In fact, my Kamikaze 4 7-string - while it's NOT an official Custom Shop ESP, has been a much better sounding and playing guitar than the '91 UV7BK I had. And while a REAL Custom Shop Kamikaze 4 7-string would be more than $6k - IF ESP even decided to build one - doesn't mean I don't love mine for $5k less than a real one, and with more of the features I want on it.

Don't get me wrong, as I know as much as any guitarist that there is an obvious quality difference in the higher priced stuff, and that you are definitely getting what you pay for. But I am one of those that if I can have and get the opportunity to get that same thing for cheaper - even if it wasn't made at one of the best Japanese plants by some of the best Japanese luthiers ever, with a little less quality woods or it was machine built instead of by hand, so be it. I am unfortunately one of the countless many that has to work everyday, and deal with life and it's expenses. But at the same time, it makes you really wonder about why you would pay soooo much money for a guitar that you can't even really play - like in a case of the MCRE's, when an original is going to be the true workhorse to seriously play and enjoy?

I guess in the end, maybe I should just wait for, find, and eventually but that mint 777GR when the time is right... And again, key words will be IF I can even find a good one by then... most of the ones I see popping up are either hacked up, or really beat, and these retards still want stupid money for it too...

·
Vendor
26,718 Posts
Stupid money would be cheap for a mint original GR. That window closed years ago.

The 7V7 was introduced in 2013 and just discontinued, for slowing sales and an expected replacement in another color/options would be my guess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stupid money would be cheap for a mint original GR. That window closed years ago.

The 7V7 was introduced in 2013 and just discontinued, for slowing sales and an expected replacement in another color/options would be my guess.
So what could one expect to see and pay for as close to mint as possible 777GR now a days? Might want to make that a 2017 resolution if it's not unreasonable...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well when I say close to mint, I obviously don't mean that the body has been hacked up for soapbar EMG's, or that there's mad dings in the finish and neck, or that the fingerboard is turning black from being so dirty. So either dead mint or near mint/lightly played, well cared for, not abused as possible obviously... If I'm looking at decent money for one, I am gonna want one as close to perfect as I can get.

And won't be anytime soon unfortunately... between a Florida trip for my sister's wedding in a few weeks, and having to drop $3k to get the transmission replaced in my car, I am looking to start my search by probably the start of summer of next year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree! I had assumed Ibanez discontinued the 7V7 but Rich's comment possibly suggests otherwise.
add one more to interest in that. For me any hesitancy I've had to buy a 7v7 has been solely down to similarity to 7vwh, which I already own. I think a new/distinctive colour choice would make this an enticing proposition for others like me who struggle to justify just buying a 7 string double for 6 strings they already own. Different and striking looks on great playing guitars is part of the essence of the jem/uv line after all....

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
add one more to interest in that. For me any hesitancy I've had to buy a 7v7 has been solely down to similarity to 7vwh, which I already own. I think a new/distinctive colour choice would make this an enticing proposition for others like me who struggle to justify just buying a 7 string double for 6 strings they already own. Different and striking looks on great playing guitars is part of the essence of the jem/uv line after all....
I actually liked the visual similarity between the 7V7WH and 7VWH, especially since the 7V7 still had a little "UV" in it; mainly the Lo Pro Edge 7 bridge, pickups, and obviously the 7th string. Ibanez created an enigma of a JEM/UV with the 7V7 and that does not happen often...if it's ever happened. 8O Guitars like that should see a healthy production time in my opinion. With that said, I do not disagree with your idea of what a JEM/UV should be. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I get the idea of making the JEM7V into a 7-string for the concept and for something different. However, it is NOT a Universe first and foremost - which is what the Vai signature model 7 has always been. Secondly, it is NOT a guitar that Steve himself uses for his 7-string when he reaches for one. He will grab his FTLOG burnt MC time and time again. Which only proves my point, that the originals are the true backbone of the line up, and that the new creation so are merely ploys and spin-off ideas trying to imitate and follow in the originals footsteps. If I wanted a JEM, I would buy a JEM. Why would or should I have to buy a JEM7V7, when I want what it's trying to be but isn't - a Universe??? It's not even close to a Universe - different body wood, additional routes that a UV doesn't have, different pickups, gold hardware which looks like total hell after a while when it fades, vine inlay instead of the traditional disappearing pyramids...

·
Vendor
26,718 Posts
A Vai 7 string is going to be whatever Steve says it is, not what anybody else does. And of course he first reaches for Bruno, he's been playing it for almost 30 years.

The pyramids, came from the JEM, just as the dots came from the 550, as did the basswood. There is nothing that is only UV except the pickups.....

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I get the idea of making the JEM7V into a 7-string for the concept and for something different. However, it is NOT a Universe first and foremost - which is what the Vai signature model 7 has always been. Secondly, it is NOT a guitar that Steve himself uses for his 7-string when he reaches for one. He will grab his FTLOG burnt MC time and time again. Which only proves my point, that the originals are the true backbone of the line up, and that the new creation so are merely ploys and spin-off ideas trying to imitate and follow in the originals footsteps. If I wanted a JEM, I would buy a JEM. Why would or should I have to buy a JEM7V7, when I want what it's trying to be but isn't - a Universe??? It's not even close to a Universe - different body wood, additional routes that a UV doesn't have, different pickups, gold hardware which looks like total hell after a while when it fades, vine inlay instead of the traditional disappearing pyramids...
Perhaps the JEM7V7WH is not for you. 8O

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel like I have been in a deep sleep and suddenly woke:

Glancing through the 2017 catalogue I notice the Japan JEM's had EDGE trems on, since when? Vai uses the LoPro Edge because he dislikes having the fine tuners close to his palm. So why has Ibanez adopted the "cheaper" trem? Looking back through the catalogue except a brief affair with the EdgePro Vai's JEMs both production an live have the LoPro Edge....

Only Satriani likes the original Edge and has consistently used that for decades. So it seems yet again Ibanez are moving the JEM flagship further away from what Vai actually uses. So his once true claim he could walk into any music shop take a JEM off the wall and gig with it is no longer true.

First we lost the ebony fingerboard, now the trem, then there was the vastly over priced farce that was the "bad horsie" JEM - a slightly modified 7DBK with a different top and paint which I cynically predicted would become the least collectible JEM...and now we have the "Premium" JEMs with only the 70V not having the Edge Zero II trem!!!

What is going on with Ibanez? There filling the fingerboards with weird woods like panga panga, cheap rosewood copies like baked maple, while Jackson/ESP/Schecter are producing JEM/RG550 (or should I say 655?) style guitars for less money with commonly ebony fingerboards proper floyd rose trems and even sustainers, yet Ibanez seems to be going backwards even the RG550 reissues don't have any real draw as better sounding old Rg550s can be bought for much less!

Even the signature artists number is shrinking and slowly more "less famous" people are getting "signature" guitars that are basically slightly modified S series and RG guitars.

Is this the end of the innovative Ibanez JEM/signature ranges? Even Kikos signature lost its scalloped frets..!

Ibanez HAD always been the only guitar company to sell a unique item from the artists design it was left too Jackson/Fender/Gibson et al to take a standard model change the pickups put the artists signature on the headstock and charge 3 times the price, maybe I should just go back to sleep and hope it is all just a bad dream...

·
Vendor
26,718 Posts
Maybe you're still a bit groggy. Steve has been using an Edge on his main players for years.

You must forget every JEM had an EDGE before 1991.

Every manufacturer has had to find alternative to rosewood on several models because of the CITES ban

541 - 560 of 584 Posts