Ibanez JEM Forum banner
561 - 580 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is my gripe: why is the JEM7VWH the longest running model? Or am I wrong? Is it only because Steve's main performance guitars are EVO and FLO and FLO II?

Have I mentioned that I hate gold hardware?

It also bothers me that part of Steve's motivation for creating the 7VWH was "wanting a more traditional look" (or something along those lines). WHAT?! You are Steve Vai! Pink, Yellow, Green, Eyeballs, Flames, Hearts! You put stickers all over your Stratocaster! You painted your cherryburst Charvel Slime Green! Traditional? When has Steve Vai ever been Traditional?

Rants/Gripes over...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was soooooooo stoked when i was able to finally order the dream guitar i had wanted since i had started playing..
it finally arrived and noticed WTF its a rosewood fretboard.. apparently i got the model right after they quit making them with the ebony boards...
and yeah for the 3k price tag they STILL have on them, you think they would go back to that, or at least put a sustainer in it now standard, but no updates to the actual guitar itself for a long time.. its a killer axe but it does need to come down in price a bit

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel like I have been in a deep sleep and suddenly woke:

Glancing through the 2017 catalogue I notice the Japan JEM's had EDGE trems on, since when? Vai uses the LoPro Edge because he dislikes having the fine tuners close to his palm. So why has Ibanez adopted the "cheaper" trem? Looking back through the catalogue except a brief affair with the EdgePro Vai's JEMs both production an live have the LoPro Edge....

Only Satriani likes the original Edge and has consistently used that for decades. So it seems yet again Ibanez are moving the JEM flagship further away from what Vai actually uses. So his once true claim he could walk into any music shop take a JEM off the wall and gig with it is no longer true.

First we lost the ebony fingerboard, now the trem, then there was the vastly over priced farce that was the "bad horsie" JEM - a slightly modified 7DBK with a different top and paint which I cynically predicted would become the least collectible JEM...and now we have the "Premium" JEMs with only the 70V not having the Edge Zero II trem!!!

What is going on with Ibanez? There filling the fingerboards with weird woods like panga panga, cheap rosewood copies like baked maple, while Jackson/ESP/Schecter are producing JEM/RG550 (or should I say 655?) style guitars for less money with commonly ebony fingerboards proper floyd rose trems and even sustainers, yet Ibanez seems to be going backwards even the RG550 reissues don't have any real draw as better sounding old Rg550s can be bought for much less!

Even the signature artists number is shrinking and slowly more "less famous" people are getting "signature" guitars that are basically slightly modified S series and RG guitars.

Is this the end of the innovative Ibanez JEM/signature ranges? Even Kikos signature lost its scalloped frets..! Pnr Status TextNow VPN

Ibanez HAD always been the only guitar company to sell a unique item from the artists design it was left too Jackson/Fender/Gibson et al to take a standard model change the pickups put the artists signature on the headstock and charge 3 times the price, maybe I should just go back to sleep and hope it is all just a bad dream...
very interesting that exactly what i was search
thank you bro for sharing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I recently bought a "Woodie" after mistakenly trading in my Blue Floral that I had owned, played and loved for years. I wish I had it back. The Woodie seems like a lesser guitar even though it has the latest line of Vai pickups(Dark matter). The sound is okay, but seems kind of muddy. The high E keeps slipping off the fingerboard even though I had it professionally set up. I never had anything like the same issues with the Blue Floral. The way it's set up now, the tremolo arm hits the volume knob. I sound whiny even to myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, I got the trem set right. The high E seems to be stable. I tuned it up and locked it down. Started playing and.....boom, out of tune again. And not subtly out of tune, the low E jumped quite a bit higher. Unlocked it, got it tuned, locked it down and....bam, out of tune again. has anyone else had problems like this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I messed with it for a couple of hours today while waiting for the Superbowl. Low and behold I think I got all the issues worked out! I played for an hour or so and it sounded great, stayed in tune with dive bombs and pull ups. Never mind all the crap I wrote before...it sounds great!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I feel like I have been in a deep sleep and suddenly woke:

Glancing through the 2017 catalogue I notice the Japan JEM's had EDGE trems on, since when? Vai uses the LoPro Edge because he dislikes having the fine tuners close to his palm. So why has Ibanez adopted the "cheaper" trem? Looking back through the catalogue except a brief affair with the EdgePro Vai's JEMs both production an live have the LoPro Edge....

Only Satriani likes the original Edge and has consistently used that for decades. So it seems yet again Ibanez are moving the JEM flagship further away from what Vai actually uses. So his once true claim he could walk into any music shop take a JEM off the wall and gig with it is no longer true.

First we lost the ebony fingerboard, now the trem, then there was the vastly over priced farce that was the "bad horsie" JEM - a slightly modified 7DBK with a different top and paint which I cynically predicted would become the least collectible JEM...and now we have the "Premium" JEMs with only the 70V not having the Edge Zero II trem!!!

What is going on with Ibanez? There filling the fingerboards with weird woods like panga panga, cheap rosewood copies like baked maple, while Jackson/ESP/Schecter are producing JEM/RG550 (or should I say 655?) style guitars for less money with commonly ebony fingerboards proper floyd rose trems and even sustainers, yet Ibanez seems to be going backwards even the RG550 reissues don't have any real draw as better sounding old Rg550s can be bought for much less!

Even the signature artists number is shrinking and slowly more "less famous" people are getting "signature" guitars that are basically slightly modified S series and RG guitars.

Is this the end of the innovative Ibanez JEM/signature ranges? Even Kikos signature lost its scalloped frets..!

Ibanez HAD always been the only guitar company to sell a unique item from the artists design it was left too Jackson/Fender/Gibson et al to take a standard model change the pickups put the artists signature on the headstock and charge 3 times the price, maybe I should just go back to sleep and hope it is all just a bad dream...
Ibanez doesn't care, as any company, their main goal is to make money and they do this by building up the hype around these artists, overprice the items, use cheaper parts over the years to increase profits while the fanboys will eat it all up and they know they can get away with it. People DREAMMMMM of having these jems, if they only knew

Most fanboys have no clue of even what the jems steve vai use are really made of lol they probably think buying a $2500 jem will get them steves evo or flo lol

Of course, they came out with the evo replica for 10k? What idiot would pay 10k for that

If you buy a jem at $2500, you already know you're getting ripped off and mostly paying for the name, just like buying an Apple product, if you're ok with that, then go ahead, buy one, modify it, etc, that's why so many love these jem jrs and why ibanez produced them, even though they are RG450s in disguise and they modify them, basically spending hundreds only to still be inferior to a RG550-650 in the end

Ibanez is in it for the money. These jem jrs sell like candy because of all the fans who can't afford a real jem, they want so badly to be a copycat of Steve? I'd rather have the rg450 than a cheap copycat jem.

The real price without the Vai royalty tax for japanese jem is actually $1500

The real price for a jem premium is $800-900

I personally not such a fanboy to know I'm getting screwed in the ass and brag about it or even enjoy it lol

Of course, steve is a salesman after all, he will tell you what you want to hear, if you believed the "i can go to any store and gig with a jem off the wall" lol thats what he wants you to believe, you won't get what steve gets

an example of this is woody jem, in the making of woody they make you believe you will get that woody, when in reality, what you get is a cheap indonesian premium copy

I've watched a video where he talks about the green sea jem, made in indonesia, he claims he doesn't detect any difference lol of course not, his green sea jem is hand made in japan to his specs, the one you get is made in indonesia just as crappy as the woody jem

Bottom line is you won't get what steve gets and if you want, you will have to modify hard and seek out parts that may not be easily accessible to you as it is for steve, in the end, you still got screwed in the ass, you overpaid $2500 for a japense jem that was nowhere near what steve uses, then you spend hundreds if not thousands to add modifications, sustainer, and other stuff steve added to his jems, in the end you looking at several thousands and all because you wanted to copy someone else

Is it worth it in the end? you decide

·
Registered
24 Posts
Customer service in UK-useless from ibanez

Years ago replacement neck was junk bowed after arrival riftsawn for quarter sawn original replacement!

A common problems is the locking nut on the gold Jem7vwh the tooling is out of spec!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So far, Steve & Ibanez have reissued almost every Universe model, and came out with 3 new...

*the 7BK Blk & Grn is still being offered as the Premium UV70
*the 7PWH was reissued as the Premium UV71
*the 77MC was reissued as another Fujigen limited edition run of how ever many pieces in 2009 or 2010...
*they even came out with 3 new higher-end Passion & Warfare models, with only 77 of each one...

The ONLY one that hasn't been reissued is the UV777GR... With fewer produced than the original AND later reissued MC's, the GR's are the lowest produced number of UV models - ones that aren't limited edition models that is...

I've always loved the bright colored guitars like the ESP Kamikaze 4 & the JEM777LNG, and I've always had a love and insane want for a UV777GR. I've been holding out hopes that Steve and Ibanez would FINALLY okay the reissue of the GR since they reissued the Blk & Grn and the WH, but year after year they drop the ball and keep coming out other boring and unapealing models I have no interest in...

And then comes the (IMO) the hideous looking PIA. Now someone I've talked with on here and on FB has mentioned that Steve told them to "ask Ibanez" when he inquired about any new UV models coming out - which was basically trying to be a nice way of saying "NO". And they also said that maybe it's because of the pandemic that has kept Steve and Ibanez from further collaboration on another UV model, but that apparently wasn't the case with the PIA coming out...

And not to mention that Steve is STILL playing his original 77MC that he burnt in the "For The Love Of God" video to this day for any of his 7-string stuff...

I don't know what it is with Steve (mainly, but with Ibanez as well...), but the 777GR is THE ONLY Ibanez I would consider buying now... I consider buying a UV70 to redo into either a 777GR by having the body and headstock refinished & having the fingerboard replaced, or having a 77MC-looking neck by having a custom inlay set done by Neck Illusions. But its gonna be either waaaaay more time and money I'd be looking to spend, or not what I really want...

So IF by chance Steve does happen to read this thread and sees this: "For The Love Of God" Steve, REISSUE THE UV777GR ALREADY!!! I wouldn't care if it's a Premium model like the UV70 & UV71 recent reissues are/were either...

·
Registered
40 Posts
So far, Steve & Ibanez have reissued almost every Universe model, and came out with 3 new...

*the 7BK Blk & Grn is still being offered as the Premium UV70
*the 7PWH was reissued as the Premium UV71
*the 77MC was reissued as another Fujigen limited edition run of how ever many pieces in 2009 or 2010...
*they even came out with 3 new higher-end Passion & Warfare models, with only 77 of each one...

The ONLY one that hasn't been reissued is the UV777GR... With fewer produced than the original AND later reissued MC's, the GR's are the lowest produced number of UV models - ones that aren't limited edition models that is...

I've always loved the bright colored guitars like the ESP Kamikaze 4 & the JEM777LNG, and I've always had a love and insane want for a UV777GR. I've been holding out hopes that Steve and Ibanez would FINALLY okay the reissue of the GR since they reissued the Blk & Grn and the WH, but year after year they drop the ball and keep coming out other boring and unapealing models I have no interest in...

And then comes the (IMO) the hideous looking PIA. Now someone I've talked with on here and on FB has mentioned that Steve told them to "ask Ibanez" when he inquired about any new UV models coming out - which was basically trying to be a nice way of saying "NO". And they also said that maybe it's because of the pandemic that has kept Steve and Ibanez from further collaboration on another UV model, but that apparently wasn't the case with the PIA coming out...

And not to mention that Steve is STILL playing his original 77MC that he burnt in the "For The Love Of God" video to this day for any of his 7-string stuff...

I don't know what it is with Steve (mainly, but with Ibanez as well...), but the 777GR is THE ONLY Ibanez I would consider buying now... I consider buying a UV70 to redo into either a 777GR by having the body and headstock refinished & having the fingerboard replaced, or having a 77MC-looking neck by having a custom inlay set done by Neck Illusions. But its gonna be either waaaaay more time and money I'd be looking to spend, or not what I really want...

So IF by chance Steve does happen to read this thread and sees this: "For The Love Of God" Steve, REISSUE THE UV777GR ALREADY!!! I wouldn't care if it's a Premium model like the UV70 & UV71 recent reissues are/were either...

I think I might have posted something like this here or on another forum.

I also would love a Premium UV777GR. If it would be in line with the current Premium UV pricing (with the expected 2022 price hike), I would buy it as soon as I could. When it originally came out (early 90's) I didn't like it, because I only had eyes on the multicolor Universe.

However, times change and now I would love a UV777GR. If they would reissue a full-blown Japanese UV, that would most likely be too much for my budget. But a Premium - that's perfect for me. I have two of the Premium Jems and am very happy with those.

In hindsight I wish I would have purchased the white Universe when they had it in the Premium lineup - I regret that now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dear Ibanez -

Please, please, please consider making more swirled Jems and Universes. 30 years ago the Jem PMC and GMC were released and y'all could make a killing taking pre-orders for reissues. Y'all could make a ton of money. Master swirler Darren Johansen from About Time Designs has fallen on hard times recently and could also use the money.

Please take my money! It's right here waiting!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ibanez doesn’t give a crap about what fans want lol is about money hence why jem jr sells like candy theyre like car manufacturers at this point releasing only SUVs while yalls ask for sport cars

I strongly disagree with some of the decisions Mr Vai makes about his guitars now he's a little older

they killed japanese jems for the sake of the ugly ass pia

·
Administrator
7,529 Posts
I'd love to see the return of the Japanese JEMs and would especially love some more ATD swirls. But I'd also like to see all the Premium JEMs get the Edge trem as standard. The Premium Blue Floral was always marred by the fact it didn't have the "real" bridge on it.

If I get to pick one, I'd like to see the old straight handle monkey grip return with pyramids on a Premium JEM7PBK, with an Edge trem :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a question about the swirls is it only superficial but actually throughout the entire body?

I guess that is a dumb question because if it was throughout the entire body it would be like one of those huge carnival lollipops

561 - 580 of 584 Posts