Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new MXR M-132 Super Comp compressor today, yet to try it out.

If anyone else out there has this compressor, tell me about how you use it, what you love about it, is there anything you don't like about it?

Where is it best to use? I'm guessing in front of the amp, not the effects loop.

What other compressors do you guys use?

What do you individually use compressors for? I got one to try and attenuate the picking when playing clean through a valve amp.

I look forward to everybodies findings and uses.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've heard some good things about that compressor, but have yet to try one. (Let me know how it does)

I use the DynaComp (MXR) in front of everything b/c they will often times overdrive/ clip your signal fairly easily. I use mine mainly to accentuate the picking on my clean channel. Also, it seems to make the overall tone a bit more lively (Claptonesque Strat sound).

I set mine by turning the unit on and the sensitivity at 0 and the output(volume) a bit over half way up. Then, I adjust the output (volume) to the level at which the volume is exactly the same when the pedal is on or off. Next, I adjust the sensitivity to dial the sound I want.

NOTE- If I'm using it for solos, I'll bring the output back up a bit for some boost. Otherwise, it's already set.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I put my Boss CS-3 or whatever (Compressor Sustainner) in the effects loop of my TSL100 on the clean channel only. I only really need it for clean sounds i guess to even out the chords so that low strings don't mud up the top strings etc.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, tried the MXR M-132 super comp, and the report is a thumbs up!

It can be used just like the Dyna Comp, but with the added use of the attack level which can vary the compression a bit more.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Andelusion said:
Isn't it completely pointless putting a compressor in the effects loop? :confused:
Nope.

It is obviously quite different to having it before the preamp, but has it's uses. You keep all the dynamics of the preamp in tact, so it will be completely responsive to your playing, but still level out the volumes.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a stock Boss CS3... I thought it was good until I a/b-ed it with a modded CS3... then i realised what I was missing out. A stock CS3 when on, thins your tone quite a bit. The bass gets cut and the overall tone lost its chime.

So I had it modded. :) It was a local guy who did it for me. Replaced the cheap components with better stuff and other things.

In the end, the CS3 rocked so much harder. Its more transparent and the mod-dist included a toggle switch for added precence, excellent for acoustic/clean guitar playing.

Moral of the story? Often times, the compressors you have can be improved! Unless its a keeley or rack compressor! :)

Anyway, I use my modded CS3 as more of a limiter than compressor. Little compression but it evens out (volume wise) stuff like when strumming clean chords but it doesn't clamp down on the notes too hard. I guess when I'm doing funk only then would I up the compression.

Ant1981, notice how the compressor (in front of amp) can make your distorted rhythm work sound fuller? Its a neat tool!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried a CS-3 in store the other day...I couldn't really get it to do anything. I was playing with the store's Epiphone LP (with old stirngs it seemed), and the store's single rectifier.

I'm a bit of a loss as to what the four controlls do...I have just one knob on my Flextone III

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have used valve rack mount compressors after a digital multi-fx. It warms up and thickens the sound as you go into the desk. I have also used them after a preamp going di into the desk. You can get some seriously great tones, particularly for rhythm.

I've got a boss pedal as well, but I don't tend to practice with too many effects, so it only gets a run out very occasionally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a rackmount dbx-166A 2 channel comp/lim/gate in series loops after my preamp. I use one channel as a dedicated gate & the other as a comp/lim. Each channel has its own loop in my midi switching system, so I'm able to switch in or out either or both at will.

Catch ya's.........Joe :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.