Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really dont know that much about studio recording, but im trying to figure out what i would need to make very good recordings. rite now i have a PC and using this Protracks program from a digitech effects box. Im guessing its sucks but i really wouldnt know. Is a MAC really better? would i need to have the comp strictly for recording? what programs would i use and what could i use on the one i have now? i really dont have the $ rite now for a new computer. thnx

·
Registered
199 Posts
you should be able to use your computer, provided it's not ancient.
macs aren't necessarily better, it's just what you're comfortable using.
there's good audio software and hardware for both platforms.

post your pc's specs so we can see if it's "good enough". also,
you'll need a good audio interface if you want your recordings to sound good.

·
Registered
553 Posts
#1 The first thing you need is a decent computer:
1 - 500 meg or more Ram - (1 gig recommended)
2 - Decent processor - P4 or equivalent
3 - Enough harddrive space to hold large files - 100 gigs recommended but not necessary.

#2 Get a decent sound card to transfer music in and out of your PC - eg Maudio Audiophile 2496 ($135) - pretty good card.

#3 Get recording software - numerous packages out there including many lowbudget ones that will work fine - Cubase, Guitarstudio etc.

#4 It's helpful to have a midi keyboard to program keyboard, bass, drum tracks but not absolutely necessary.

Hope that helps.
G

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i dont kno that much bout computers but im learnin lol... ok its an emachines T3958, Celeron, 2.93GHz, 504MB ram, 80GB hard drive... and a side note: its been runnin slower and the fan stays on constantly like it doesnt ever shut off? is there a reason for this? i did the defragment but nothing changed.

also... is protracks any good? i havent tried anything else but it seems a lil hard to work with.. and i have that digitech rpx400 effect box and when i plug it into the computer with the usb line it doenst work. anyone? lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.