Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently i was discussing guitars with a friend of mine and i showed him some photos of my guitar, the first thing he remarked on was the uber lightness of the cut of rose wood on my fretboard and how thats a bad thing and a darker fretboard signifies a better cut and apparently that sounds better.
Now forgive my knowledge because i am still learning about these sorts of things but he showed me a picture of his SZ (same model as mine exactly) and his fretboard was way way way darker than mine.

Is this a problem?
Is it possibly a manufacturing defect.

Should i be concerned.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
No, nothing wrong with it at all. Dont listen to your friend. Its possibly just a lighter shade of rosewood. Remember this, all woods have different colours and shades, so dont go thinking there is anything wrong with your fretboard. Because there isnt.

If you want to get it a little darker, put some Lem Oil on the fretboard. Easy to get hold of, its cheap, and all you have to do is rub it on. That should darken it up somewhat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
germX said:
after we see your fretboard pic, maybe we'll tell you if it needs reconditioning. the paleness might be due to it being dry- perfectly normal reaction to temperature.
+1 its probably just that fretboard is slightly dry. Rosewood comes in colours ranging from an ebony style black, to a dark reddish brown, to a whiteish brown. Don't believe that rubbish your friend is telling you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
the.godfather said:
No, nothing wrong with it at all. Dont listen to your friend. Its possibly just a lighter shade of rosewood. Remember this, all woods have different colours and shades, so dont go thinking there is anything wrong with your fretboard. Because there isnt.

If you want to get it a little darker, put some Lem Oil on the fretboard. Easy to get hold of, its cheap, and all you have to do is rub it on. That should darken it up somewhat.
I read lemon oil ends up drying up the wood, and bore oil is what should be used on rosewood boards...

I put bore oil on mine, and they are the shizz!!!! :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
germX said:
bro- any chance of seeing the fretboard up close? looks like a pre-2005 SZ520 you got there...
Interesting, i wondered why the other SZ's people i knew had had Duncan/ibanez written on the pickups etc.
I only got this guitar 4-5months ago.

is this picture sufficient?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like i learnt something useful here even tho my suspicions based on someone elses oppinion were wrong.

Where can i get Lemon Oil from? Music Store? or is it a pretty generic item?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That fretboard does need some oil, but your friend is wrong. Rosewood can vary in shade greatly from one board to the next. Darker means better??? since when? I have a beautiful rosewood fretboard on one of my guitars that is fairly light, but because of that it shows lots of its beautiful grain. And most of the lower quality rosewood fretboards are darker to hide thier lack of quality grain, I know because I have low and high end guitars and the higher end the guitar the brighter that rosewood and you can see more of its grain and character.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.