Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

sorry if this has been covered somewhere already but i searched the forum and couldnt find it. what with the uk £ being so strong against the US $ at the moment, im tempted to buy some gear in from abroad and am just wondering how difficult it is to convert USA stuff to work on UK power. is this something any electrician/amp tech could do easily? if so it'd save us UK folks a pantload of cash.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
get a nice Transformer from your local builders suppliers shop. All (well almost all) heavy duty power tools in this country run on 110V for safety reasons. cost you about £70 you will have to change the kettle chords three pin to a matching plug for you trafo.

or go through the bay for something that looks like this... 7523606400... or a little one like this ... 5981692725

Steve

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ps... converting an amp is very dangerous if you dont know what your doing and very expensive to get done profesisonally...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Some kit can be converted cheaply, some is v expensive. Your best bet, if you are looking a rack kit, is to get hold of a 110v power conditioner and run all your US kit from that. Then you just need one transformer to run your power conditioner from, and you'll have the added safety that a good power conditioner gives.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Most rack kit you can change internally. Like computers they run on ~5V DC so there is already a transformer in there. Usually they come with a 220-240V transformer which is then shunted to give 5V DC from 110V AC. In many cases the internal transformer is equipped with a switch or with unconnected outputs. I did this to my Digitech 2101 which I purchased in the US, two minutes work at most. If this is not the case you can exchange the internal transformer.

Floor units often have an external transformer. Very easy to exchange, some already come with automatic voltage switching, like an electric razor or cellphone charger.

Amps shouldn't be a problem either but good repairmen are rare. Inquire at a proper US dealer/repair-dude.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I agree with Steve. Getting a transformer is the easiest and cheapest option.
I had a Boogie 2:90 for a while and if I remember correctly I was quoted around the £3-400 mark to convert the unit to 240v! Spent about £50 on the transformer and a new 3-point plug.
I'm currently running my Randall Cyclone with one.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Why on earth would you want to pay a lot of money for a power conditioner and a voltage converter? Don't get conned out of 300pound for a simple conversion!

This 2:90 schematic clearly shows how simple a voltage conversion would have been for that Boogie Poweramp.
http://www.tubefreak.com/290pwr.gif

This picture (sorry for the poor quality) shows the internal power transformer on my 2101. Simply reseating a single resistor in the power controller turns a US unit into an EU unit. plug in a different power cord and presto!

In case you have trouble reading this picture, the labels next to the resistor seats read: 240V, 230V, 117V, 100V

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I agree with bits of the above comments which is why I started my post with

"Some kit can be converted cheaply, some is v expensive."

Depends what kit you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts