Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also reached out directly to Rich for his input. I've been doing this vintage Ibanez thing for a very long time now but I've never seen one like this. It's definitely a tad more 'orange' than my '87 Road Flare Red, and it has later-model features such as the volume knob placement and apparent quartersawn neck. (And yes I understand the serial number dates it to 1989.) To me anyway, it doesn't appear to be a refinish because ALL the paint is just too "Ibanez" perfect if you know what I mean. Weird, huh? Anyone seen one like this before? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. :) Well I've got an '89 RG570 (jewel blue) that has the same style sticker, and I know for sure Ibanez didn't offer this color in '93. I'm thinking this one might just be one of those fluke guitars that Ibanez has been known to put out there every now and then (and never catalogued??)

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Looking at the volume control placement, I'd agree that this is a 1989 model or later which is when I believe the location moved a quarter inch or so away from the bridge.

From the wide angle shot of the whole guitar I would have said that it's the same "Pink Salmon" that the old FGM100 came in, but some of the close up shots seem a completely different colour!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yo, that's a beauty. Original paint for sure, and not aged, as far as I can see from the pics.

Mm, the catalogues also don't always tell the full story. Certainly, in the 1989 US catalogue, the red 550 is shown with a black headstock! Whether they all had this or matching, no idea. Sometimes dealers would also order spot models with specific features, whether it's a different colour, inlays or whatever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! jono - I'm leaning towards the color being Road Flare Red. (Cameras seldom do these Ibanez neon colors justice. You can take an identical photo in 2 different rooms and end up with 2 different colors!) I did find a link to an ended Reverb auction of a 1989 RG550 RFR, but with a black headstock. Ashurbanipal - You're dead on. Rich here tells me that any production number past 30000 will most likely have the following year's specs (e.g., the new volume pot location which began around the 1990 models.) And he mirrors your suggestion that dealers occasionally order spot models with specific features (matched headstocks, etc.) So, a late model RFR it is and an unmolested case queen as well. It's nearly impossible to find these 80's RG's in like-new condition nowadays. Zero cracks, dings, dents, rash, mods...nothing. Anyway, happy holidays everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mm, it's common for Ibanez to make the new year models in the last two months of the previous year. Back when neck plates had serials, you often see November-December neck plates of the previous year as a kind of pre-production for the new year release. At any rate, the 1990 US catalogue would suggest that matching headstocks were in that year.

Heh, there's often arguing about the colours here :D. No surprise - photos never quite capture them right; most original guitars have aged clear coats and/or have faded by now, which alters the way they look, unless they're vault queens like in the op; people's memories have degaussed a bit ;).

The most convincing colours I've seen compared to what Ibanez used back in the day for RFR, DY, SK, LNG, CO etc. are the fluorescent hues offered by Dayglo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.