Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys,
Unfortunately,my first post here is not so lucky for me .
So,after half year of playing this amazing guitar,I realize there are two cracks ,on the guitar body,on the places where neck is conected with body ,back side of guitar.(see the photos please,my English isn't the best tools for explaining this ).
I don't know when the cracks could be generated,but I know guitar did not fail down from my hands.Yes,guitar was couple of times at local guitar store for set up,but I don't beleive such a cracks can be from failing on the ground or so.
Any similar (bad ) experience or advice what to do will be very appreciated.

All the best ,
Big Hary

Attachments

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Usually these are just Neck Joint Finish Cracks - Common problem with Ibanez finishes, search NJFC.

It is just the paint, so no need to worry. That said, take a look at the photos of Evo!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Big Hary,

Don't despair. Those cracks you speak of are known as Neck Joint Finish Cracks or NJFC's. Those cracks are not in the wood, as they might appear to be but only within the finish of the guitar. Sometimes those cracks develop due to excess torquing of the neck screws when they're bolted down to the body or they develop over time due to the wood contracting.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Although it may look like the guitar is damaged, it really isn't.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Anybody care to claim EVO's NJFC's are just the paint?

It's the wood, it's just called a "finish" crack because that's the phrase that stuck.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

It's the wood, it's just called a "finish" crack because that's the phrase that stuck.
Well, the term should be renamed to simply a Joint Crack. I hope I wasn't misinforming people Rich.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
To clarify, I mentioned Evo as an example of cracks that are worth worrying about (steady elcid, not that kind of crack).

Big Hary, the cracks in your guitar are almost certainly just cosmetic.

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
I never said they were anything to worry about [unless you're planing on treating it like a Vai stage guitar], just stating the facts ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts

I'd hazard a guess that EVO gets significantly more abuse than the average Jem. I'm sure EVO's are the wood. As for the rest of them, you'd know better than I.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Guys !
You made my day !
Yes,I also think (now I think,but before your optimistic answers I was very disappointed and just hoping it is not serious ) there shouldn't be any impact on guitar performance,except the finish is cracked.
In addition ,7 vwh has thiny layer (o.5 mm ?) of some another wood (bass wood?) over the "body " wood,in a manner to keep good foundation for the paint. Am I right ?

So,there shouldn't be any serious impact on connection neck/body.
I don't care about (small mistakes in ) cosmetics , anyway it could give some charm to this guitar...

But,if the NJFC is so common , what could be a reason for that ?
We have very dry climate here in SA .Should I put humidifier in my guitar room ?
Cheers,
BH

ps
this is f..cking good site .

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yikes. So much for that whole "ibanez jems are superior quality" thing. You'd think for 2300 dollars they would figure out some way to take care of this issue, apparently its been a problem for years. I've only had two Ibanez guitars, babied them both and they still developed this problem after only a few months, sitting in temperature controlled rooms.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Man, where's Elcid when there's a thread about Big Hairy and cracks ? ;)

On a more serious note -
Don't worry too much about it Big Hary. If you were to poll all the members on here I'd bet 80% of us own (or have owned) a guitar with those king of neck cracks. It's really common problem and they need to get way worse than what you've got to cause concern.

·
Vendor
26,323 Posts
Yikes. So much for that whole "ibanez jems are superior quality" thing. You'd think for 2300 dollars they would figure out some way to take care of this issue, apparently its been a problem for years. I've only had two Ibanez guitars, babied them both and they still developed this problem after only a few months, sitting in temperature controlled rooms.
Why? EBMM still hasn't figured it out on their $3000 BFR's.

This is typically caused by shipping shock, much more typical to basswood plate joint guitars, but can happen to even mahogany AANJ's like a JC that came in once with a 1/2" NJFC [or lets be real, NJC] and the trem blown off it's studs.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well shame on EBMM too in that case. That is ridic..it just seems to me that at such a high price tag you shouldnt have to worry about stuff like that. My two customs were each under 1500, and no problems (well I cant speak for the 2nd one, I'm only getting it in two days, but my first one has been flawless - even though it is a basswood body.)I've owned a bunch of guitars but this is the first im hearing of non-Ibby's having this problem. It's interesting, as always jemsite is a wealth of info and I always learn somethin new :). Rich we have our disagreements but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
240 Posts
my '07 jem has a little crack on neck joint. i just saw it, search over jemsite and found this post. im happy to see theres nothing to worry about this issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts