1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
150 Posts
Neither. Both are solid state, and you can get a much better tube amp for the pice, especially used.

Look for a used Mesa/Boogie Studio .22+, DC-3, DC-2, .50 Caliber+, Nomad 45, F-30, or Mark III (if you are lucky enough to find one for 500).

If going used is not an option, I would suggest saving up fo a tube amp, because a good one will stick with you for life.

If you cant save up, then the best Vox Valvetronix model you can, because its better than both of those. But out of the two, the XXL is better.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't play gigs or anything like that, i don't even have a band. I'm buying a SS amp becuase I play mostly at my house. I find that tube amps are used more for gigging and band practice and i also know that a tube amp doesn't sound as you would expect unless you turn the volume to the max. I can't do that, i have both of my granmas living here. So i think i should stick with the SS amps right now. Besides i'm not a virtuoso or anything like that so it wouldn't "fit" me. It's like buying a BMW for your first car and not knowing how to drive. So when i get a band and start to play more, i'll sel the SS amp and THEN buy a good tube. I think that its a good choice for now.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Of the two, the Peavey for sure. You can get a Peavey Valveking 1-12 combo for around $350 though. Peavey's tube stuff usually sounds good at lower volumes too. Even a SS 2-12 combo can be loud, and those are both higher wattage amps, so even they will be hard to keep at a REALLY low volume. I have a Peavey Studio Pro 65W SS Transtube amp as a practice, it can get pretty loud, I also keep it as a backup amp, I could gig with it as long as I plug it into a decent cabinet, the stock speaker doesn't do much for me.

Good luck, try both (and more if possible) and get the one that is best for YOU, no matter what anyone else says.

Roger

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can find a used Peavey 5150 combo for about $500. It doesn't matter if you are gigging or not, newbie or not newbie, tube amps are the way to go since you can afford one now.

While most vintage tube amps won't sound good until you cranked them up (since most of them lacked a master volume) that is rarely the case with modern tube amps with a master volume.

The 5150 combo sounds great at low volumes. Think long term man. You might not be gigging now but you definitely will one day and you will thankful that you have a tube amp with you then.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you guys convinced me....Damn it i am bad chosing amps....I'm gonna look for a 5150 at the evilbay, i hope its a good choice. I just have to say that you guys are very helpfull, couldn't do this without your help.

should i buy it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.