Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Canada for the very first time and I have a couple questions. I hear a lot of stories of the Border Patrol denying entry and being real personal when corssing in. What should I expect crossing into Canada? Also, I'll be in Windsor Ontario, if anyone is from here I'd love to know what some fun stuff to do would be...

·
Registered
324 Posts
actually, in Windsor, you probably wont find any french people, thats not until you get around Ottawa. the myth that we say eh all the time is true, so dont be shocked :D not sure about the border patrol, but when me, my sister and parents went to the states, all they wanted was our passports, and looked inside the van. 30 seconds later, we're in the states. when will you be getting here, and for how long?

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you want to go to a great music store, go to long and mcquade, there is one in windsor, i love it, great friendly staff, decent prices

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually, in Windsor, you probably wont find any french people, thats not until you get around Ottawa. the myth that we say eh all the time is true, so dont be shocked :D not sure about the border patrol, but when me, my sister and parents went to the states, all they wanted was our passports, and looked inside the van. 30 seconds later, we're in the states. when will you be getting here, and for how long?
I'll be there for a day or two. Nothing major. Just always wanted to go. I'm actually a little Canadian nut down here. Always admired the country. I have a huge 3x5 Canadian flag in my room, drink Molson, own two team Canada shirts, etc. I know one thing I won't look like a tourist. Just hope they let me back in the states :O lol

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Expect bad weed and great beer, lots of French speaking people, and otherwise a lot of nice Canadian people.
yes Canadian beer is great....I love beer...I believe that beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy ;)

As far as border patrol goes, I've never been through Windsor but I live only 3 miles from the Washington border crossing and I go down there a lot to ski and hike at Mt. Baker and I find that the Canadian border folks are less intimidating than the US border folks...the US border patrol officers are not very friendly at all and they all have guns and I've had my vehicle searched on several occasoins, whereas I've never had my vehicle searched coming back in to Canada and the Canadian boder guards seem less intimidating and intense...

too bad you aren't coming out to the west coast - the Vancouver area is sooooo nice with the mountains and Pacific Ocean...maybe someday you can come out this way. I hope you enjoy your visit to Canada :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well soon I'll be sippin' Molson and trying Poutine for the first time. I have a strong feeling I'll fit in just well.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ive never actually been to the hall of fame, but it looks great. if you can watch it, watch corner gas, ive been to Saskatchewan, and thats an accurate representation of how they are out there

·
Registered
460 Posts
I live in Saskatchewan. It isn't THAT bad. You are required to wear Roughrider clothing and wear a watermelon on your head to football games (think Green Bay north).

I've been to many cities from Vancouver to Montreal (I haven't made it to the Maritimes...yet). Every place I've been to has it's own cool features.

Molsons is NOT good beer. For a good lager try Steam Whistle from Toronto. For a good ale try the Unibroues from Montreal. For a good stout try McAuslan St. Ambrose oatmeal stout from Montreal. For lenient weed law enforcement, try Vancouver.

If you go to Toronto try to get a hotel near Yonge street. On new year's eve 1999/2000, I spent the day taking in the culture on Yonge street, checked out the Wayne Gretzky display at the hall of fame (also on Yonge street), and rang in the new millenium at a Tragically Hip concert. I stayed in a hotel next door to the Maple Leaf Gardens (too bad it was shut down by that point).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do yourself a favour and pass right on through Windsor (don't look left or right) and head to Toronto or TO as we locals call it. Head downtown and catch a Leafs game or Raptors (if you like that sport,not for me). The food choices in TO are awesome, many great restaurants, Steves Music on Queen St. is the flagship music shop of Toronto, or if you have time Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill (north suburb of TO) has lots of great stuff including ENGL. Tons of nightlife on Richmond St. (clubs) and on Queen St. and elsewhere lots of pubs and live music.

·
Registered
324 Posts
im not sure if they have these, but traynor amps are built right in toronto (i think), maybe you could go on a factory tour. ok, maybe its not quite like that in saskatchewan, most of my relatives live there, and i think its similar. you probably know them lol
btw, do your self a favor, go to a tim hortons, great canadian coffee chain, its really part of our culture. again, go to long and mcquade, i love that store. yes, maybe toronto will be better than windsor too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts