Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Hey, long time no see Mark :)

I've really only been to Montreal, but I'd love to go back (soon and often). Great town, pretty girls with gorgeous accents, Unibroue, and a great hockey team as well :) I'd love to visit Vancouver and go through Banff on the way some day too.

But back to the OP's point, I think you may need a passport now, where you only needed a US drivers license the last time I went. Check that - you don't want to find out you're under documented at the border.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Quick story - back in the 80's my GF and I went on a hunting/camping trip up at Lake Champlain right at the border for 4 days- had never been up there before -after a few days in the tent we got bored so we drove into Canada and spent the day.

At the border coming back to the US we waited in line for our turn - everything was cool until guys in a car ahead of us were caught with drugs - the border cops torn that car apart...seats removed, everything. I suddenly realized I had my 22 cal. rifle in the trunk from camping. We were in big trouble if they found it so I made my well-endowed girlfriend unbutton her shirt to the navel- the border guys never took their eyes off her and we made it over the border without a car-check. True story!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Jim, I've been lurking the whole time, but felt I didn't have anything meaningful to contribute to many threads so i decided to sit back and watch the drama from afar. Maybe I'm just getting old...

By the way, spot on observations about Montreal. I've never seen so many hot women in one city. That in itself makes it worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Eddie, you'll probably have more problems coming back into your own country. Be careful when you schedule your border crossing, or you could be (like I was once) stuck in a line of cars three miles long.

Peace

Mike

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
But back to the OP's point, I think you may need a passport now, where you only needed a US drivers license the last time I went. Check that - you don't want to find out you're under documented at the border.
I live 3 miles from the Washington border crossing and as of summer 2009 we can't cross down into the US anymore without passports so it's likely that you will require one coming up into Canada

·
Registered
459 Posts
Could be, it's going around :lol: I retired my Tacks 852s and got a pair of Reebok 7K's a few months back - very nice indeed.
Sounds good. The more comfortable they are, the more you will want to use them. I have heard some good things about the Rebok skates. They didn't have much of a presence when I was still in the skate biz (i.e. before the Crosby endorsements).

One thing I've noticed, the absolute cheapest pair of skates will work better for you than at $700 pair of skates IF they are fitted correctly and the expensive ones aren't. The 852's have been used by many pros without much or any modifications so the quality is there. However, they are a stiff skate so any areas that didn't fit properly will be amplified and be very uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I learned to skate in the 852s basically, and I was skating a while before I realized they were just too big :) I went from a 10.5 in the CCMs to a 9.5 in the Reeboks. Got them baked and all, and they are pretty nice, though a lot more flashy than the 852s. I get super jealous looks from 9 year olds all the time! :lol:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have a passport. It was hell to get one though, they don't do them in my town. I went out 26 miles out of town (west) to go get one as they told me it'd be the best bet instead of going further to the city (east). I got there, showed up, they asked for my birth certificate... I handed them my 23 year old piece of paper. They said I'd have to get a new one. They wouldn't except it where they send it off. So they told me "go back to your town and ask for a 'long form' birth certificate". I said Ok. I went to CVS and got some passport photo's as I needed 'em anyway. Went home and they said "Well, we don't do long form birth certificate's here. You have to go into the city but there you can get it, get a passport". So I called it a day and the next day I went into the city and got my birth certificate and headed across the city for a passport. I arrive and they tell me "well the man who does them, is on vacation". At that point I was getting rather frustrated... they said "you can go across town (south) and try there, let me call" so the lady has me waiting forever... she returns and says "Sir, you can go, but there will be a wait and they are only doing them until 1 P.M." I said "FORGET THIS". I went all the way back to first town I went. There I showed up the post office and said "..Passport?" and she said "the lady is off today..." Right before my head exploded she said "You can go two blocks down and get it" SO FINALLY I DID IT, lol.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I learned to skate in the 852s basically, and I was skating a while before I realized they were just too big :) I went from a 10.5 in the CCMs to a 9.5 in the Reeboks. Got them baked and all, and they are pretty nice, though a lot more flashy than the 852s. I get super jealous looks from 9 year olds all the time! :lol:
That's a pretty big drop. Your feet must have been swimming in the 852s. I've seen many parents buy skates 3 sizes too big in hopes of getting a couple of seasons out of them. They then think the skates are too small when the kids are getting blisters and sore, bloody feet. The kid's feet move around so much that they rub the skin off and they wear holes in the boots of the skates. It's sad to see the kids hate skating so much because it hurts their feet.

Btw Jim, have you discovered any tasty new beers that deserve a tasting?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hyptethically, what happens if you lose your passport? I get that you stay detained and can't cross back. But why? What makes the passport golden? This isn't to try to say "oh well passports are bull sh*t" I respect the process and have a passport. I'm just not exactly understanding how the passport makes a difference from the 3-4 other forms of ID I have.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . .I'm just not exactly understanding how the passport makes a difference from the 3-4 other forms of ID I have.
Best I can come up with, just by common sense, is that border guards wouldn't possibly be able to become experts at all the local, state, provincial, whatever, IDs that are out there in the world. It would take their already tough job and make it beyond impossible.

Peace

Mike

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Btw Jim, have you discovered any tasty new beers that deserve a tasting?
Not really, the ones I see most now are regional. Still a big fan of the DogFish Head 90 minute IPA though, that's just about perfect. I could probably get by with that , La Fin du Monde and Chimay Blue for the rest of my life (well, maybe a few Duvels thrown in as well)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts