Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a parts js100 about a year ago for about $200. I bought a gotoh Floyd, routed out the trem hole a little longer... And installed the Floyd with a mo Joe in the bridge and a paf Joe in the neck. Loved the tone! Hated the neck. It felt nothing like my other js, or anything else worth playing. But that was to be expected. So I bought a custom neck from warmoth.

1 5/8" nut, stainless 6105 frets, straight 12" radius, maple/rosewood combo, gotoh tuners and moon glow inlays! I had to trim the nut shelf... It was not machined low enough, so that was a little tedious. But in the end, it's now rivals my other guitars in playability. All for a total investment of about $650, after selling the js100 neck. I know that is about what I can buy a js1000 for if I was patient. But this is a little different. And when people see that headstock... They'll be unsure as to what the heck it is haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was going for 😁. The stainless frets are excellent too. I notice no difference in tone at all. Which is great because I eat up frets in only a couple years. It'll be nice to not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's what I was going for 😁. The stainless frets are excellent too. I notice no difference in tone at all. Which is great because I eat up frets in only a couple years. It'll be nice to not have to worry about that.
Sorry to revive this topic from the dead, but I love what you did with your JS100, and I was thinking about doing the same with a custom warmoth neck. Did you get the neck's mounting holes pre-drilled, and did it fit fine? Also, was your neck heel shape Tele or Strat shaped?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! It's a strat style heel, and I did get the holes pre-drilled and that was a big mistake. I had to fill them... And redrill. So do not get them drilled, the bolt pattern does not match a strat. It fit pretty much just like the original neck. every neck pocket is a little different... But the height from heel to fingerboard was dead on. Best of luck! I know warmoth is pretty backed up, but you'll get your neck eventually.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I really like what you did, that looks terrific! I also replaced a JS neck with one from Warmoth, along with some other mods including routing it a bit wider to fit a Gotoh Floyd (that's my favorite locking trem). I'd picked up a JS1200 but wasn't able to bond with the neck. I like larger SS frets, compound radius, thinner profile, and I wanted to try a roasted neck, too (still with rosewood fingerboard). So I picked up a Mooncaster neck from Warmoth with specs I liked, then reshaped the headstock to approximate an Ibanez. I also scalloped the fretboard and had the headstock painted to match the CAR of the body, with a mirrored logo added. I know some object to a fake logo, but there's no attempt to fool a buyer--the neck has no authenticating Ibanez info on the back and clearly has Warmoth stamped on the heel.

I was lucky that the mounting holes lined up perfectly with the body. I knew they would because I'd tested with a Warmoth strat neck and had no problems setting it up properly. The end result is definitely not an ordinary JS1200 but one that fits my prefs much better. I play this all the time.

Oh yeah, and I use a GraphTech strat nut rather than locking nut b/c I find the tuning stability nearly as good thanks to locking tuners and a well-cut nut, so no messing around with the locking nut or retainer bar. I know it's off the beaten path, but I've done this on a couple of guitars and really prefer it.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are a
Thanks! It's a strat style heel, and I did get the holes pre-drilled and that was a big mistake. I had to fill them... And redrill. So do not get them drilled, the bolt pattern does not match a strat. It fit pretty much just like the original neck. every neck pocket is a little different... But the height from heel to fingerboard was dead on. Best of luck! I know warmoth is pretty backed up, but you'll get your neck eventually.
You are a hero. Thanks so much. Yeah, I'm not expecting to get the neck for months, but it gives me something to look forward to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like what you did, that looks terrific! I also replaced a JS neck with one from Warmoth, along with some other mods including routing it a bit wider to fit a Gotoh Floyd (that's my favorite locking trem). I'd picked up a JS1200 but wasn't able to bond with the neck. I like larger SS frets, compound radius, thinner profile, and I wanted to try a roasted neck, too (still with rosewood fingerboard). So I picked up a Mooncaster neck from Warmoth with specs I liked, then reshaped the headstock to approximate an Ibanez. I also scalloped the fretboard and had the headstock painted to match the CAR of the body, with a mirrored logo added. I know some object to a fake logo, but there's no attempt to fool a buyer--the neck has no authenticating Ibanez info on the back and clearly has Warmoth stamped on the heel.

I was lucky that the mounting holes lined up perfectly with the body. I knew they would because I'd tested with a Warmoth strat neck and had no problems setting it up properly. The end result is definitely not an ordinary JS1200 but one that fits my prefs much better. I play this all the time.

Oh yeah, and I use a GraphTech strat nut rather than locking nut b/c I find the tuning stability nearly as good thanks to locking tuners and a well-cut nut, so no messing around with the locking nut or retainer bar. I know it's off the beaten path, but I've done this on a couple of guitars and really prefer it.

View attachment 18130
That looks really cool with the chrome gotoh. I ordered a gotoh too, so I'm glad it fits nicely with a little extra work. Plus, I've got a red js100, so yours is a really cool future pic of what to expect. I'm surprised the Mooncaster's pre-drilled holes worked while the Warmoth pre-drilled holes didn't.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That looks really cool with the chrome gotoh. I ordered a gotoh too, so I'm glad it fits nicely with a little extra work. Plus, I've got a red js100, so yours is a really cool future pic of what to expect. I'm surprised the Mooncaster's pre-drilled holes worked while the Warmoth pre-drilled holes didn't.
Yeah, that's strange. Warmoth's pre-drilled holes are usually the same for pretty much all their necks. I had a Warmoth strat neck mounted on this JS1200 body for a while, worked fine. The Warmoth Mooncaster also fit just fine. Not sure why that gave someone else trouble, perhaps the JS100 has a different neck pocket? Good luck with your build, would love to see pics when it's done!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no idea, it's weird because it wasn't off by much, you could see every hole looking through the body, but it was only the edges of the holes. So I wound up having to take sawdust and super glue and fill it. And then once that all set then I could drill it myself so it could mount. Even these Korean Ibanez neck plates fit other 4 bolt pattern Ibanez's and fenders... I have a Korean neck plate on a 1988 540R body. I would say just do it yourself to be safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the 36mm version
Just thought I should chime in one more time to give my thanks for your help. Got a warmoth neck with a Gotoh Floyd now, and it plays beautifully. All I have to do is clean up the “routing” I did for the Gotoh, then maybe repaint the guitar to sonic blue or something to give the turtles some water.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sonic blue eh? You mean like this? I finished modding mine this past spring. I changed the controls and installed the AZ circuit in the guitar. I find it to funny we had almost the same idea haha.

That neck you have there... Dude that is gorgeous.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

Musical instrument Blue String instrument Guitar String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Purple

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just thought I should chime in one more time to give my thanks for your help. Got a warmoth neck with a Gotoh Floyd now, and it plays beautifully. All I have to do is clean up the “routing” I did for the Gotoh, then maybe repaint the guitar to sonic blue or something to give the turtles some water.
That turned out fantastic! That's an amazing neck, and it'd go well with so many colors you could choose from. I hope you'll show the end result.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Wow... I agree with everyone else here, that neck is amazing! What type of Warmoth neck is it? (I'm not familiar with them) The whole project turned out great!

@JsXLine6 - That neck would look awesome on your blue one. Something about the color of it paired with the astounding blue you painted yours!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it really would. My neck actually developed a warp... I managed to get some of it out with a heat lamp and pressure... Leveled the frets and it plays nice now. However... I'd LOVE to have that neck... It even looks like roasted maple too! 🤤

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sonic blue eh? You mean like this? I finished modding mine this past spring. I changed the controls and installed the AZ circuit in the guitar. I find it to funny we had almost the same idea haha.

That neck you have there... Dude that is gorgeous.

View attachment 20426
View attachment 20425
View attachment 20424
That's hilarious that you went with blue, too. That looks incredible. Really good paint job. I've got three shades of blue which I'm going to be trying out over the next few months, so hopefully one of them looks as good as what you've got.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow... I agree with everyone else here, that neck is amazing! What type of Warmoth neck is it? (I'm not familiar with them) The whole project turned out great!
Thanks a lot. Here are some of the specs for the neck:

Modern Tiltback
Roasted Flame Maple (with clear gloss to make the flames pop)
Standard Thin neck profile
Stainless steel frets
Black Pearloid Turtle Inlays

1 - 20 of 21 Posts