Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im gonna customize my 7620 and im gonna start with the Neck, i think im gonna get EKG to make me a AANJ neck im just wondering what i should get, and it troubling me i dont know what to get :( maple?? rosewood?? off-set pearl markers?? can any of you put forward any ideas on what i should get??

Thanks

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Well, what sort of necks have you played in the past that you've liked?

I mean, it's your guitar, it should be what you like, not what the majority of us do... ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive only ever played maple and rosewood but the maple neck was awhile ago and i dont remember it that well, im hedding more to the maple cuz i have a uv7bk with the rose, but im open to ideas :D

EDIT: hmmm reverse :s it looks abit too weird 4 me, and the decal looks silly :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maple fingerboard +1!

I love maple fingerboards, though I don't know what you think about em. Dave Weiner seems to like them.

I was thinking the more 'tight' sort of tonality from maple might be good for the 7th string? Make it less muddy and so forth.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Maple neck. Although Im a rosewood player and I love the neck on my PWH, 7620 and S 7420 but I've always liked the maple neck on my Fender Mex strat.
I like DW's necks and the way they look. IMO I would go with a maple neck but thats just me.;)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
reversed headstock, birdseye maple, and offset mini dots.

standard head, ebony fretboard and no dots, except for offset minis on 12th.

super sweet

rich

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Um, just food for thought -

If you haven't played that many guitars yet, is it REALLY such a good idea to spend a lot of cash on a custom?

To me, the appeal of a custom guitar was to buy something really unique, that fits your exact needs and desires as a player. You're paying top dollar for a guitar that, as a custom to YOUR specs, won't have the greatest resale value. So, does it really make that much sense to have a guitar built to your exact specs, if coming into the project you don't have these specs already in mind?

My vote would be to wait until you have the 7620 (you're the same guy at www.sevenstring.org who just posted a "willing to buy 7620 for a custom project" thread, right?), and then play it for a couple months before you decide anything else. While doing this, go out and play every single guitar you can get your hands on, and look for common trends on the guitars you like and those you don't. after a couple years of this, you won't have to post a thread here asking what you should have for your custom, because you'll already know.

-D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts