Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There (General Kenobi),

I had an Ibanez RG870z Premium and it was good ole 'Boring Black'. So i want it to be refinished in something more "colorful" (plus some minor modifications). Here are some photos, hope you like them;

All modifications handled by King Bee Custom Painting; https://www.instagram.com/kingbeecustompaintworks/

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Damn that looks like a lot of work, I know how tough that finish is. I'm surprised you didn't just scuff it and spray over it, although it wouldn't have come out as nice!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
That's amazing! I've been tempted to refinish my boring old grey nickle RG570 and make the pickups direct mounted. This looks super sharp!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saw this over at TGP - that is really really sweet. :)
I've posted to my three favourite forums. And thanks a lot :)

AMAZING!!!

Damn that looks like a lot of work, I know how tough that finish is. I'm surprised you didn't just scuff it and spray over it, although it wouldn't have come out as nice!
Thanks. BTW, did you notice the layers under the original final paint. There was three piece baswood body, then a maple veneer, metallic blue overlay and after them black coating at last.

I assume a story like this: body was made to be RG870 with maple top but something went wrong. So they cover it with a metallic finish but again there was a quality issue and then finally they sent it to be painted all black.

Wow! Great color/turnout. Cool scalloping too.
The guy who makes (Mete Ari) the process is very talented guy. He knows what and how to do ;)

That's amazing! I've been tempted to refinish my boring old grey nickle RG570 and make the pickups direct mounted. This looks super sharp!
Thanks. And i believe shell pink, lace placid blue, shoreline gold would look amazing on an RG body ;)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Very, very, VERY impressive work. I'd like to highlight another case of a fan designing a nicer guitar than any new RG 6-string Ibanez in many years.
I will second Glen's comment. How well would this sell? Ibanez.... if you're reading this...

I love Fender's color and design pallet. I'm just not a fan of their guitars. I'd love to see an Aztec Gold RG550 with a white pickguard, white pickups, and a maple board. Or the same with seafoam green, sonic blue, or shoreline gold.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
They did make a laser blue RG870 but I don't think it was released many places, certainly not the US. Why they seemed to only go with black on the non quilt RG870 and RG921 is just awful. I love my RG921 in black but another solid color would've been awesome. I've been tempted to get the blue quilt RG921 which looks nice.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Nice work! That's more super-straty with the pointy pickguard + inlays but you would think Ibanez would figure this styling out for the AZ (softer curves especially the models with pickguard).

Actually, guys, this is my second attempt to project 50s fender concepts on an RG theme. The first one was this;

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will second Glen's comment. How well would this sell? Ibanez.... if you're reading this...

I love Fender's color and design pallet. I'm just not a fan of their guitars. I'd love to see an Aztec Gold RG550 with a white pickguard, white pickups, and a maple board. Or the same with seafoam green, sonic blue, or shoreline gold.
I believe its potential; 50s and 60s fender concepts and slightly thicker necks something like modern C that fender us standard stratocasters have. And there must be HSS, SSS and HSH configuration options.

I would jump on seafoam green RG with a pickguard, even though I don't like RGs with pickguards :)
Wise choice :)

They did make a laser blue RG870 but I don't think it was released many places, certainly not the US. Why they seemed to only go with black on the non quilt RG870 and RG921 is just awful. I love my RG921 in black but another solid color would've been awesome. I've been tempted to get the blue quilt RG921 which looks nice.
:)

Nice work! That's more super-straty with the pointy pickguard + inlays but you would think Ibanez would figure this styling out for the AZ (softer curves especially the models with pickguard).
I truely love the AZ idea but the headstock. But the AZ line can be enriched with those design concepts you've mentioned about. AZ have that potential.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I've grown to like quilts and flames. Maybe that's what maturity is? LOL! :D
I still prefer solid colors though. I wonder if there's a mental thing with solid finishes looking "cheap." Yeah, quilts and flame tops do look more premium, for lack of a better word, but IMO some color combinations just produce a Pavlovian response. I wonder how even a tuxedo like "Blackey" copy would sell; an RG550 with a black body, maple board, white HSS pickups, and a white pickguard would do? Or the same in any Fender color? I've always wondered in general why Ibanez shied away from the solid white pickguard in general. Is it NOT wanting to seem like they're copying Fender?
The Japanese market seems more willing to dip their toe in this as you sometimes see models like this

Electric Guitars RG - RG2540MZ Prestige | Ibanez guitars

But the pickguard is always white pearl and I don't recall seeing models with white pickups.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I've grown to like quilts and flames. Maybe that's what maturity is? LOL! :D
I still prefer solid colors though. I wonder if there's a mental thing with solid finishes looking "cheap." Yeah, quilts and flame tops do look more premium, for lack of a better word, but IMO some color combinations just produce a Pavlovian response. I wonder how even a tuxedo like "Blackey" copy would sell; an RG550 with a black body, maple board, white HSS pickups, and a white pickguard would do? Or the same in any Fender color? I've always wondered in general why Ibanez shied away from the solid white pickguard in general. Is it NOT wanting to seem like they're copying Fender?
The Japanese market seems more willing to dip their toe in this as you sometimes see models like this

Electric Guitars RG - RG2540MZ Prestige | Ibanez guitars
But the pickguard is always white pearl and I don't recall seeing models with white pickups.
Quilts/flames are tricky because if you don't bring it (i.e. Ibanez stuff) the "figured top" actually subtracts from the guitar aesthetics. Buyers also want to see them in person (pics don't cut it).

Sorta worse is that Ibanez doesn't get modern "solid colors" right either (new AZ colors, all the orange axes, side views, etc.).

I think Ibanez was correct leaving this out of the USA. This is another design by excel Ibanez japan. Total mishmash. Ibanez seems to need different (western) designers to bring cohesion if it wants to be taken seriously in the quality, modern superstrat market where it's stuck trying to get a foot in the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts