Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
strange! very vfery different from anything he played till today: no 7 strings, no 24 frets, no locking trem, no basswood, no bolt-on (not too strange in fact, we're talking about a PRS)...and no Ibanez ;P

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he mentioned on his forum before that he was in talks with PRS for a 7 string model ;)

so maybe PRS will take on board all his ideas and come out with some killer custom models over the next year or two.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice guitar but I don't know that he's totally jumped off the Ibanez boat. He uses so many different guitars in his videos that I wouldn't put too much stock into things. Still, PRS's are sweet and if he's going in that direction, more power to him.

·
Registered
788 Posts
he teachs at some music schools now, the California one (berkley?) anyways, point being, 80% of the people going thru there are jazz/blues guys, and if Dave (the teacher) came in with a pink 80s ibanez, they wouldnt take him seriously. Thats why hes been playing strats/telecasters and stuff lately.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he teachs at some music schools now, the California one (berkley?) anyways, point being, 80% of the people going thru there are jazz/blues guys, and if Dave (the teacher) came in with a pink 80s ibanez, they wouldnt take him seriously. Thats why hes been playing strats/telecasters and stuff lately.
nah mate this isn't true. his Ibanez LACS was a pretty nice guitar, nothing like a shocking pink jem. And he teaches at GIT, so most of the players would be liberal when it came to guitar choice.

he changed because Ibanez wasn't giving him what he wanted, or thats the gist of what I heard... he also said he missed the more vintage tones of strats, teles and pauls.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well one of his ROTW videos he specifically mentioned he taught alot of blues/jazz guys and he needed strats/telecasters for that, so its pretty much implied that he knows about how the music industry works; certain people wont take you serious in those fields (blues/jazz) if you dont own a fender, or at least something looking like that.

I went to school with abunch of those guys and they all would only buy strats or maybe the odd Gretch or 335 hollowbody, its just the way things are.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Awesome!!!!! I love that 513! OMG, I need one! PRS guitars are my favorite, best guitars made. Ibanez or Gibson #2 for me. I can't wait to see the customs they are doing for him. Congrats Dave!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
A PRS 7? Now that could have me reaching for the credit card, but knowing PRS I'd probably have to sell the house to buy one!

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
PRS makes an outstanding instrument. I don't really get all the hate for them, to be honest. Beautiful, well made, versatile guitars they are.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Funny really, I guess people just don't like it when someone rejects their favorite brand.
I've tried a few PRSs over the years, single and double cut and none of them really spoke to me like my 7VWH, build quality was good though and a test is not the same as living with one.
Thank heavens people have different tastes.
Jim

·
Registered
281 Posts
wow really strange! ;\ dave plays with vai right now so the two ibby set will brake for prs vs ibanez! lol he used to play with ibanez for very long time! ;\ from the one time to the other he brings a shiny 513.....wierd

1 - 20 of 84 Posts