• Dave Wiener

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Tony Mcalpine

Votes: 26 61.9%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like the story about how dave meet vai, also if you go to daves sight you will see he actually answers threads and what not which is more than vai will do,.
so ill pick dave on this one .

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Mike?

Vai used to be a lot more active, in the late 90's he had his own chat room on Vai.com and he popped in several times and talked to the people who used to hang there. Mike Keneally and others from the band also joined, it was great fun. As all good things it came to an end.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think Tony is simply ridiculously shredder-riffic. Dave is more of a supporting player.

I love all Dave's solo CDs so far to death. T-Mac's stuff is technically very impressive but leaves me a bit cold.

If I had to pick one or the other to be in Vai's band, I'd pick Dave. He's no slouch in the shred department and he sits in the mix better, IMO.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mike?

Vai used to be a lot more active, in the late 90's he had his own chat room on Vai.com and he popped in several times and talked to the people who used to hang there. Mike Keneally and others from the band also joined, it was great fun. As all good things it came to an end.
I remember the 90s at vai chat ,it was alot of fun,I used to see dave in the chat room alot though always missed vai himself,..
I remember you the euphor there though.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Gasp! Yes, I was addicted to that chat for some time. I hope I was nice! :) May I ask what your used as a disguise back then? I don't remember many names, but you never know. :)

And indeed, Dave was there more than Vai.

[Fun thing, I also met Ron Thal in that chat room, which eventually lead to meeting him in 2005. Just the two of us was online and he asked if there were any new good guitarists. I answered that he should check out Ron Thal. He then revealed his identity and also sent me one of his out of print CDs. Nice guy. :) ]

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have to pick Dave on this one. He's just a really great guy that gives back to the community a lot plus his solo work is fantastic. I like Tony, but I find his sound a bit lacking to my tastes compared to Dave.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Strange question, one of them are sort of so much better than the other that is like comparing a farmer team with the NHL winner.

Not meaning in supporting Vai (I have no idea about that) meaning as a guitar player.
One are really really good and one an average guitar player that you can find loads of in any town in the world.

/Magnus

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't like MacAlpine's solo work, and I've never listened to Weiner's. But every note I've ever heard MacAlpine play in a Vai song was beautiful, and I like the keyboard/guitar combo, so I vote MacAlpine.

Edit: Listened to some Weiner solo work; first impression is that it's heavily, heavily Vai-influenced. Sounds good, but not very original nor technical relative to Vai (again, this is only my first impression).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
As i understand this poll it's about who of the 2 is the best guitarplayer and not a question of taste. And the question is quite easy, Macalpine is a Virtuoso and can't really be compared to Dave(even tho Dave is a good guitarplayer). Tony kicks ass as far as guitar playing goes and he should be compared to another Virtuoso in order for a poll to be any match.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Gasp! Yes, I was addicted to that chat for some time. I hope I was nice! :) May I ask what your used as a disguise back then? I don't remember many names, but you never know. :)

And indeed, Dave was there more than Vai.

[Fun thing, I also met Ron Thal in that chat room, which eventually lead to meeting him in 2005. Just the two of us was online and he asked if there were any new good guitarists. I answered that he should check out Ron Thal. He then revealed his identity and also sent me one of his out of print CDs. Nice guy. :) ]
hey thats awesome, I used to go buy the name Dragon back then ,.and yes you were cool,.I had a great time at vai.com back then .These days at vai.com you only need to sneeze and you get jumped on.That site is no fun any more, though there are some cool people there , but not many.

:smile:

·
Registered
563 Posts
considering the recent musical orientations and mine, I prefer Dave.
Sine TMAC switched to 8-string RG I don't know what he's searching for and his last album confirmed what I was expecting...
I really loved the chromaticity and CAB period.

The last Dave album was a great discovery on the other hand, I went deeply into it and I think it inspired me in some way I can't really describe.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hands Down Macalpine. Edge of Insanity?? Maximum Security?!? Yes please!! Tony was overlooked for sure. He was a beast in the 80's and to kick so much ass at guitar and keyboards is a rarity. He also played Keyboards for some of Vinnie Moores stuff on Minds Eye i believe. 80's!!!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hands Down Macalpine. Edge of Insanity?? Maximum Security?!? Yes please!! Tony was overlooked for sure. He was a beast in the 80's and to kick so much ass at guitar and keyboards is a rarity. He also played Keyboards for some of Vinnie Moores stuff on Minds Eye i believe. 80's!!!!

8O OMG! Tony Mac without even a thought. Tony is an artist and virtuoso, and while Dave can lay claim to living in that world, he is but a character actor to Tony's Academy Award winning career...

I respect the both of them, but it's almost like asking "who is the better African American Actor Sidney Poitier or Todd Bridges"? :lol: :razz:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dave, without a doubt. Anything I've heard from tony is a little harsh sounding. Did not like any of his solo work either. Dave on the other hand, I love his tone and his solo stuff is very impressive and I like the melodies he writes better.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
This discussion is dumber than what came first, egg or chicken?
Whoever Vai puts there, he/she will be playing Vai's music so results will be the same.
Even if Vai called him/her and said "Hey you can play whatever you want in my songs, no need to copy my stuff 100%" STILL they'd be creating something to match Vai's language, songs still would sound like Vai.
So it doesn't matter at all cause we're not listening to Macalpine/Wiener playing their own stuff and sounding like themselves ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts