Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the new issue of Total Guitar today, and whilst browsing through I noticed an A4 page AD for Yngwie Signature Series Dean Markley Strings. I thought this was pretty cool to be honest, and Im glad to see that Yngwie is showing his face around again (especially with his new album etc). Apparently they will come in a variety of sizes too I believe. 8's, 9's and 10's pressumably.

I have only ever used Ernie Ball Hybrids or Super Slinkys, and never really felt the need to change. But I might try these Yngwie ones when they are released. Not only because I am an Yngwie fan, but because I have been dissapointed with the string-life on the Ernie Ball's recently. They go grey, dull and horrible very quickly lately.

These Yngwie Signature Strings are "coming soon" according to the advert.
I don't expect everyone here to be bothered, but some people will be, mainly the few Yngwie fans among us (including me). I know alot of people dont like him on here, so this wont interest you.

But personally, I think its pretty cool, lol!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot, if you are an Yngwie fan, I would buy the new issue of Total Guitar straight away! Yngwie does a video lesson in it (on the CD included) and its pretty cool, and ammusing too!

He plays some of his earlier stuff on the disk including some of the main riffs/licks from Rising Force, and he also plays some of his newer licks from Blitzkrieg and stuff.

Its a really good video lesson actually. Especially as Yngwie doesnt usually do stuff like this very often, especially in UK guitar magazines.

It made me want to grow long frizzy hair after jamming out to the main riff from Rising Force, lol - classic stuff!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The Yngwie video lesson is absolutley SKILL !!!!! 8)

I've had loads of fun with it and i also look forward to trying the Dean Markleys

ZJH said:
So, what's so great about these Yngwie strings?
we don;t know yet but i agree that ernie Balls go black easily so I'll be looking forward to trying a set of 10's.

Ben

·
Registered
54 Posts
There was an interview with him in guitarist magazine and he mentionad them. He said he used 8 - 46's. Thats the treble strings of a set of 8's with the bass strings of a set of 10's. He said he uses them because thinner treble strings have the same tone as thicker ones,but are easier to play, but the bass strings sound crap if they are thin. They sound like a good set, coz i use hybrids at the moment but fancy trying 8's without losing tone.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ZJH said:
So, what's so great about these Yngwie strings?
Theres nothing "great" about them whatsoever I dont suppose. But I just fancied something different cos the Ernie Balls I usually use are getting worse and worse lately. I fancied a change anyway - so it might as well be to my favourite guitarist's signature strings!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
the.godfather said:
Theres nothing "great" about them whatsoever I dont suppose. But I just fancied something different cos the Ernie Balls I usually use are getting worse and worse lately. I fancied a change anyway - so it might as well be to my favourite guitarist's signature strings!
I hate Ernie Balls. They sound good on a strat - real bright, but they always go dead before any other strings.

Dean Markley Blue Steels are pretty good. They never sound as bright as DAddarios but they hold their tone something like five or six times longer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is a very good thing for people that want to use the gauge he uses. Before this, you'd have to buy singles, since no one made an 8-48 set. (He used to use8-46 on his Strats, and 8-48 on his Gibsons. Know he uses 8-48 on the Strats)

I've always wondered why a company hadn't already done this. They would have sold like hotcakes, in the Eighties.

·
Registered
343 Posts
whatshisname said:
This is a very good thing for people that want to use the gauge he uses. Before this, you'd have to buy singles, since no one made an 8-48 set. (He used to use8-46 on his Strats, and 8-48 on his Gibsons. Know he uses 8-48 on the Strats)

I've always wondered why a company hadn't already done this. They would have sold like hotcakes, in the Eighties.
Spot on!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used .9 treble strings and .10 bass side strings once and it worked great. It *does* sound better without too much more wear on your fingers. That said I didn't want to pay $10 each time I changed strings so I went to .10s.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Eggy said:
The Yngwie video lesson is absolutley SKILL !!!!! 8)

I've had loads of fun with it and i also look forward to trying the Dean Markleys

we don;t know yet but i agree that ernie Balls go black easily so I'll be looking forward to trying a set of 10's.

Ben
YEAH it's true ernie ball string goes black very quickly that's why I switch to Daddario... It's very good but will be looking forward to use te malmsteen's string :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.