Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What's you think of Death Magnetic

• Greatest Album Ever!

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Not as good as their early stuff, but good.

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • It's ok.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • It sucks!

Votes: 27 33.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Metallica is one of my favorite bands. I have learned more metallica songs than any other band. Having said that this is an ok album. Its better than saint anger...about as good as the black album, no huge single like sandman tho.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well I think it's alright. It's better than anyother modern rock bands effort I have heard. It's not as good as a lot of modern metal but Metallica aren't really part of that scene, they are the fathers kind of how Zeppelin wasn't like the glam crowd even though the glam crowd was enspired by Zeppelin.

I don't know, I like Metallica but because of the hype since saint anger I feel like I can't like them anymore (besides first 4 albums) because people will scoff and so on. It's a lame stigma, but it exsists.

I'd prefer to listen to Death Magnetic than most other new albums by big bands.

·
Registered
355 Posts
its a good album. ya cant really keep comparing it to master and all that. that stuff was twenty years ago. for me master of puppets is their best, but this new one is not bad at all. i like "All Nightmare Long" the best i think. . .

·
Registered
183 Posts
I never listened much to Metallica before, but I spent some time trying to get into Death Magnetic. I'm not much of a Hammett fan, but the songs have a ton of energy. James' vocals are great too.

Notice that the mastering of the album is SEVERELY clipped, and that you can download remasters all over the internet which sound way better. I'm listening to the DECEiFER remaster at the moment which is good :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
OK album, but I don't agree with 'best since "And Justice.."' (southpaw_lefty!). Irrespective of your musical tastes, the Black Album is a wonderful piece of work and deserved to sell as many copies as it did - and still does.

Death Magnetic still strikes me as sounding force-grown - it sets out to be an 'old' Metallica album by a group of people who've passed that stage. Add the truly horrible production and it will never be my favourite Metallica, but it's all right. Maybe the official remaster will improve it...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
You know I noticed the quality was bad, but it never made or borke my opinion of the music. I guess I'm old enough to remember tapes that have been played too much and I used to listen to punk which had the worst quality ever. The notes aren't the sound, it matters but I don't think that much. St. Anger I can understand, but the over compression of Death Magnetic, well yeah it's bad but not so much it makes me say "this album sucks, entirely because of the recording quality." I think that is just drinking the Kool Aid of today's uber synical crowd.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I found the material a bit weak, which is why I don't really like the album. The production is just like an "anti-cherry on top" if you get my meaning. ;)

Rock on!
Yup, I think the lyrics are especially weak. But I do have to say that it is the best since the black IMHO. But yeah it's not their best by far although it is better than I expected.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I voted ok because it is just that: ok.

But it's weak compared to some of their other stuff. It's not a first that their mastering is off (ie Justice, Stanger) and it's listenable on my car stereo.

Yup, I think the lyrics are especially weak.
completely laughable yes, put'm side by side with United Abominations and you will see how shockinly bad deathmag is, lyrically. Although I don't agree with all Dave's views, he does have a way with words. He has a bit too much to say. James, however, has nothing to say and it shows.

It would probably be better if Kirk wrote a song about flowers or Lars something about playing tennis in the nude. In fact I think it would even be better if Lars wrote in Danish and Robert in spanish.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
For me the black album was a big let down. It went in a completely different direction. But it did work for them, it really expanded their audience and made them a sh!tload of money.

OK album, but I don't agree with 'best since "And Justice.."' (southpaw_lefty!). Irrespective of your musical tastes, the Black Album is a wonderful piece of work and deserved to sell as many copies as it did - and still does.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What a bumber IMHO!! There are some cool riffs but.... James voice has no balls, Lars has lost whatever touch he had, hardly hear the bass and Kirk's solos just didnt cut it for me.....please guys, dont chew my arse off!!! Its just my opinion...... Best thing about it was the album cover, quite like it!!! The aggression was far superior on the St Anger album........

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not as good as their early stuff, but good.

I like the album it's just the sound that bothers me, the clipping or whatever you want to call it, at least in my car stereo I can't blast it, sounds weird.

Anybody else have that problem ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts