Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any death metal fans in here? Whats your favorite death metal bands?
Personally mine are Death (RIP Chuck), Carcass, and In Flames.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I think there are too many different names for metal. Mainly for the reason that I've been into metal since I've been into music and I still have trouble determining exactly what sub-genre's some of my favorite bands are considered part of.

That being said, I love Death and In Flames too. But I mainly listen to bands like The Faceless and Obscura, now. Obscura is really cool cause it's like The Faceless meets Death. Very cool band. I like a lot of other more popular stuff too like Black Dahlia Murder, All Shall Perish, and older Lamb of God. I just saw All Shall Perish not too long ago at the New England Metal Fest and thier younger guitarist is a monster player, probably the best player out of the whole show and this includes Alexi from CoB.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I like metal but I think we've recently had an oversaturation of metal bands. AN di agree with Bronowgone that the subgenre thing is tedious. So some of these might not be true "death" metal.

I'm a fan of:

As I Lay Dying
Arch Enemy
Anterior

The other metal bands I like aren't death metal to my knowledge they are more like the older style of metal or have singing.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Genres are good, makes it easier to find bands I will like, and avoid bands I won't. So, since I don't like metalcore, I can avoid bands like Trivium, Unearth, and As I Lay Dying, while looking for death metal bands like Suffocation or Morbid Angel.

In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc are what is commonly referred to as "melodic death metal", or melo-death. Other bands of this type would be At The Gates, Soilwork, The Absence, Scar Symmetry, etc.

Personally, I prefer the older death metal, like Obituary, Death, Cancer, Disincarnate, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, etc. :) Some newer stuff is great as well, like Nile.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Genres are good, makes it easier to find bands I will like, and avoid bands I won't. So, since I don't like metalcore, I can avoid bands like Trivium, Unearth, and As I Lay Dying, while looking for death metal bands like Suffocation or Morbid Angel.

In Flames, Arch Enemy, etc are what is commonly referred to as "melodic death metal", or melo-death. Other bands of this type would be At The Gates, Soilwork, The Absence, Scar Symmetry, etc.

Personally, I prefer the older death metal, like Obituary, Death, Cancer, Disincarnate, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, etc. :) Some newer stuff is great as well, like Nile.
Yeah, I'm still thinking there is too many subgenres but I have to admit I'm not a death metal fan really I just like a few bands, I'm really picky about metal. Probably cause I'm a rock, blues, jass guy at heart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts