Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like it? Or do your ears bleed at the very though of a furry blue man with cookies?

This place seems to have a mixed opinion about this. We will see. Your age included would be nice, too.

PS This is the last poll I'm making for a long time, I swear :p
lol, forgot the poll itself X|

·
Registered
336 Posts
"RARRRRRRRRWARAORAAORPARAROWORROWO

RARARARAMAOOORORORORMASROOOCMOSDNSDOJOO"

That was me expressing how I feel about death-metal in a death-metal style. Hope you understood it ;)

I'm 17 btw.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
... sure, been listening to it since the early 90s [i am now 30] though i haven't been able to listen a whole album without getting a headache nowadays :p
I kinda gotten over the fact @10 years ago [around the same time Korn, Slipknot and similar nu-metal bands were getting big] most DM bands were not really pushing the "sound" any further but focused on "going faster, stronger, harder..." blah blah blah. It's mainly attributed to this "keep it underground" mentality which i still have a hard time understanding to this day...
More so, I was heavily into the local scene and gotten over it cause:
a) you end up running into the same people... and you start to notice that everybody else is not eligible to legally drink :p
b) people who are all about death metal [or any sub-sect or similar genre] only know bands within said genre; everything else is moot. Even if the band is Opeth per-se, who's influenced by early death metal bands, is out of the radar cause "it's not heavy enough" or "too much clean singing."
c) the opposite viewpoint is when a "metal" band is doing something very heavy and technical yet it's not death metal by any 'standard' e.g. Meshuggah is not death metal [nor do i consider 'em as one] but some people [within the scene] see them in same category as Korn or Slipknot - "sellouts".
d) in a city like LA, death metal bands [or any underground metal band in general] play in the least likable venues e.g. a dive bar, a hole-in-a-wall club, or someone's backyard... not the best place to be carrying a high-end guitar/rig. If you're a touring band from LA however, you get to play the big venues...

otherwise, most of my friends are connected to that scene, one way or another, but i chose to "do my own thing" since playing metal gigs isn't a paying job, unless you're Dethklok lol
i still listen to my dm albums... except the bands i listen to are at least 10 years old [or have been around for that long]... :)

Reg

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
My criteria for death metal:

-not melodic DM
-simultaneously ferocious, musical, purposeful, and emotional
-absolutely positively no breakdowns
-no high-pitched, inhaled vocals
-must have blast beats
-no diminished 7 arpeggios back to back. (the lamest excuse for technical death metal)
-no "djent"
-influenes that don't include The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, etc.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

-not melodic DM
-simultaneously ferocious, musical, purposeful, and emotional
-absolutely positively no breakdowns
-no high-pitched, inhaled vocals
-must have blast beats
-no diminished 7 arpeggios back to back. (the lamest excuse for technical death metal)
-no "djent"
-influenes that don't include The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, etc.
What's wrong with the faceless? Other then "they're new"?

I guess this is for bands that use death vocals, considering by your standards 80% of those bands aren't death metal.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

How can you group The Faceless with these bands? I've been a metal/death metal fan for longer than I can remember. I really love Planetary Duality, if you haven't listen to that cd beggining to end, you can't really say you've heard The Faceless at their best. As for the other three "bands", call them what you want, but at least don't group The Faceless with them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How can you group The Faceless with these bands?
One of their songs has about an entire line of clean singing, only the lead guitarist has long hair, and one of them is black. That is like the opposite of TRUE death metal, man :roll:
Also, wikipedia says they're deathcore, so there you go. Personally I don't understand what so many people find so repulsing by metalcore (and by extension metalcore, but I digress).

Genre divisions are probably the most baffling thing in heavy metal, there's a new subdivision for every second band. You could call Children of Bodom Blackened Neo-powerspeed melodic death thrash metal but that wouldn't change the fact that they're a heavy metal band, same with Metallica, Death, The faceless, Job for a Cowboy, Judas priest, dragonforce, Suicide Silence, the Devil Wears Prada, so on and so forth. Whether or not you like the band is up to you to decide for the reasons you decide, but just because you don't like a few of them doesn't mean you should make up a new genre just to throw the heap of bands you don't like to avoid tainting your own 'pure' collection.

PS, what the hell is djent?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Nothing wrong with The Faceless really, I just think they have horribly written riffs/songs that try way too hard to be fusion. My opinion of course. Some people eat it up, I think it sounds flat out stupid.

Death metal for me is Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Immolation, Krisiun, etc. I enjoy technical death metal when done tastefully, like Origin, Spawn of Procession, and Obscura, but most of these new bands are just ****ing off to diminished 7 arpeggio sweeps with a huge scale bass.

I also wanna add to my list:
-must not have neon colors on their shirts.
-must not have a phrase exceeding 4 words as their name (3 is really pushing it)
-musicians must not jump while on stage
-must not say "if anyone falls, pick them up" before commanding a mosh. (not that I want to see people trampled, its just *** to say)
-must not use a 6505 with vader cab, and an LTD. (Usually the Eclipse)

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I'm a little confused as to what death metal is.. I really love melody but I love heavy guitar also.. So I will list the music I like and you guys tell me if Im even close to death metal...

Im 34 so I not up to date with the latest of Metal, just what comes my way and what I like...

Here is what im currently listening to...

ISIS
Five Finger Death Punch
Testament
Disturbed
Trivium

Anyways I have respect for all types of music, no matter if I like it or not... So Can someone suggest the current best Death metal Band thats out at the moment ... So I can have listen and see if I like it or not !!

Cheers !!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a little confused as to what death metal is.. I really love melody but I love heavy guitar also.. So I will list the music I like and you guys tell me if Im even close to death metal...

ISIS
Five Finger Death Punch
Testament
Disturbed
Trivium

Cheers !!
Technically speaking none of those guys are really full up DM, but Testament's 'Demonic' album definitely is (Their others are a lot more thrashy), and Triviums newest album is by far the heaviest and with the most screaming. Didn't even know Disturbed screamed? Not much of a fan personally.

Some of the more melodic death metal bands would be Arch Enemy, Between the Buried and me (sort of, ish), Becoming the Archetype(Really underrated awesome christian DM band, lol), Dethklok, The Agonist, The Black Dahlia Murder, Kalmah, Necrophagist, Winds of Plague and obviously a lot more.

Then there's obviously lots of the classics like Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Amon Amarth, Death, Sepultura, so on and so forth. That should give you plenty of material to go through ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like DM alot. As a guitar player the technical aspect of the genre is of course appealing.
But, i don't like modern death metal. You know which ones.
Oh, and also no bands playing anything involving the word "core"(except grindcore :p)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Anyways I have respect for all types of music, no matter if I like it or not... So Can someone suggest the current best Death metal Band thats out at the moment ... So I can have listen and see if I like it or not !!

Cheers !!
Not reflective of my own favorites, I would recommend necrophagist, black dahlia murder, and obscura. If you are feeling tough, check out fleshgod apocalypse, origin, or decrepit birth. :D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I do not really get into death metal. granted I do not really like ANY music produce in the last 15 years including every genre . It has lost its touch of organic quality. and is real overproccesed you dont need even a good vocalist! in fact you can very easily do the things that in the 70s and even 80s they could struggle to get out, now can be don even on computer! where has slap back delay, string sections and the like gone. and outside inflyuence, like jeff beck, deeply influenced buy indian classical music. today, with our our overprocessed uberhigainsuperdigtalimillionpresetsflyingoutofourbutts amps. it just loses passion and emotion and starts to be alot of producers having outside people right songs, have one guy do the keyboard to controll the drums, strings, horns piano, everything over a million takes, loop them, if they are off time. snap them to time with pro-tools. have a group of random session hacks do just the same. and have some pretty chick that knows three chords (its more marketable if she can "play guitar") and sing off key |(protools can fix this too!) and make her the most freakin famous billionaire over night (lady gaga,pink among everyone in the last 10 years)
Where are the robert plants and jimmy pages?!?!?! there needs to be another yardbirds! 30 years from now we (or rather, "they") are gonna look back at cold*** the same way we do zeppelin, the who, and cream, as being innovative. and what have they (coldplay) done? it takes them (all modern bands) like, 5 years between albums made by cheapskate producers talentless-get-all-the-fame vocalists. they are 'singers, famous singers' instead of talented frontmen ( ala rory gallagher). the reason they music industry is dying is because we dont have people like zeppelin. we have these nonentities (reminds me of that song money for nothing by dire straits, another great frontman btw!)
I'm not saying reinvent the wheel. but have some real passion in music. where the band wrights the music, and works HARD to get them right (led zeppelin wrote an album in as little as 36 hours!)
modern bands are only famous on the radio. back in the day, it w live where it counts. everything is on a track nowadays. and many 'singers' are just faking it over the track!
1969, fillmore. led zeppelin had a malfuntion that they lost power for their gear. accounts say you could still hear plant in the back-rows,there is hardly such things like the live feats of yesteryear. like as one example, jimmy page and all of his crazy live stuff and improv (not always the cleanest, but the small mistakes are what makes it 'organic') like doubling plants vocals. that vionlin bow thing in dazed & confused!
this is getting to be rather long winded, but to sum it up. there will never be music as great those who pioneered it, even up through the 80s. but i do not like its direction now.

Oh yeah, and I just turned 15

1 - 20 of 60 Posts