Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Developer
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i am repainting my headstock to make it look like the DY guitar.

Questions:

1: What is the colour code or color name of the yellow jem?

2: Where can i find the 77dy headstock decal? the word "JEM" is written in pink and i can only find all black decals

3: I found a stencil on best decals that i can use instead of a decal, so i can make the jem in pink, would this be just as good? or should i stick with a decal?

Please help me... im lost :D

Thanks
Brett

·
Developer
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks so much,

So its easy to remove the original finish and paint right?
Oh and, i guess i will print a picture of the jem77dy headstock, so i can line it up, then spray it, but i guess with stencils theres room for error, and decals you get one change,

I just want to be sure that the stencil quality will be just as good as the decal?

any suggestions or tips?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I wouldn't remove the old paint, i'd wetsand it with probably 200 or 400 grit, and spray it over again with the new yellow paint. It will give you a base coat so you don't need to prime it or anything. I've done it with 2 bodies.

You could get pretty much any Ibanez Jem headstock picture, all the logo placements should be the same.

If you do it right, the quality should be the same.

So, what you would do is cover up the "Ibanez" part of the logo, spray the pink "JEM" part of it, let it dry, cover up the "JEM" part of the logo, spray the "Ibanez" part, let dry, and clearcoat. 5-7 coats shold do it, right guys? Then, wetsand with 2000 grit, and buff the hell outta it.

There's always room for error with the decal if you can sand for ever....;)

Sounds good. Post pictures when you're all done!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you want, sure, my PM box is not full yet..lol.

I used 3M rubbing compound and 3M marine finesse-it. You can hand-buff it with a very very soft and clean towel of some sort. I would recommend a powered buffer, but you're only doing a small space, so you won't need it as bad.
Rubbing Compound:

Marine Finesse-it:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Basically finesse does the same thing as wax and shine, but in one bottle.

You'd still need compound it gets rid of the "orange peel" effect. A car buffer would work fine. :)

You mean, how much would it cost you do re-paint the head? Not much. A small tin of paint is cheap. Bet you can do it in $10. About 3 coats of yellow would be good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts