Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just managed to complete this project. It looks really nice but I went through quite a lot of time and effort to get it completed. Anyway, would just like to share with you guys on Herc's body, neck and swirl. I managed to get a deal on **** about 10 months ago from Herc on a guitar body and neck with a swirl finish. The estimated time was 10 weeks. It took about 8 months to finish and delivered. Before he sent over the body and neck, the pictures looked great and communication was ok during the whole time. But once I got the items, I am sorely disappointed by the neck. The body was ok but it cannot match factory specs (maybe I am too demanding, but I thought these things are made by CNC these days). Anyway, see the pics of the neck.

Frets are not parallel.

The fret slots are cut too deep and frets not dressed and attached properly. Workmanship is really poor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Check out the leftover glue on the frets.

And the crappy little piece of wood shim for the nut.

The fingerboard is too thick as well. The neck has more of a C-profile than an ibanez D-profile. So I am clearly disappointed when I thought I can just assemble it without much fuss after getting it.

I know Herc did not make the parts but I really thought the body and especially the neck will be more well-made. The swirl is great and Herc is probably the best out there right now. When I contact Herc on this, his reaction was that no others complained about the quality of the guitar and that I am fussy. After some pressing he offered to give me a new neck or send him a neck for swirling of the headstock with some top-up of course. After getting such quality, I do not think I am going to risk waiting another 6 months for a neck... So I took it to my local luthier and see what I can do with it.

The final solution is to do a refret, filling and recutting the slots. In the end I spent more money but I have a better feeling I will actually see it becoming a guitar finally. So after some waiting for the pickups and parts, the guitar is ready.

The moral of the story: HERC does great swirls BUT you have to wait a LONG time and the quality of the body and neck is something less than desired. Unless he changes his suppliers, do not get his body and neck... Be warned...

The luthier who did my guitar was great the pics showed the frets and and slots are done properly this time round. Here's the pics...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Simply amazing!! I can't wait until I get my Herc Fede swirl back, but damn does it take a long ass time. I'm sure it will be worth the wait, though. That is a sweet swirl man, very nice!

·
Registered
145 Posts
WOW that guitar is very nice! just awesome, i carnt belive it was sent to you like that, shoddy man, good job you got it fixed up though, nice!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

I was afraid of something like that. When you get a CNC'd body and neck from someone else you never know what the quality is, if the specs are right, or what the deal is. Unless you know the person doing the work you really don't know what the h.e.l.l. you're going to get. I've thought about getting one from somone, maybe off of e.b.a.y., but after seeing that there's no way. The only way I'll get one CNC'd is if I'm giving them the model, g-code, and the body blank for it.

However, it looks pretty killer now!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Great swirl. The final guitar looks killer. Kudos to your luthier for some nice repairs. Is Herc buying parts from Legacy now or what?

The grip looks huge in that picture -- must just be the coloring.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts