Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an RG guitar, and it's really a well made instrument (Prestige Wizard neck). The neck, however, is a bit wider than I'm used to. I'm feeling like I should give it a few weeks before I decide it isn't for me, hoping I will be able to adjust to it.

Did any of you have a tough time with this neck, but eventually acclimated to it ergonomically?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're a thumb-hooker then it'll never suit you, Wizard type necks only really suit technique-oriented players who play with their thumb behind the neck, it's no real use for open chords either, the fingerboard is too flat, this is why Telecasters exist.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I recently purchased an RG guitar, and it's really a well made instrument (Prestige Wizard neck). The neck, however, is a bit wider than I'm used to. I'm feeling like I should give it a few weeks before I decide it isn't for me, hoping I will be able to adjust to it.

Did any of you have a tough time with this neck, but eventually acclimated to it ergonomically?
If you don't like it before the "return date" then just return it. Sure you can possibly accommodate but the real question is why would you want to and is it worth it. Only you can decide that but as stated above it's probably both wider and flatter than you're used to and has severe limitations unless you are a technique based player.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep that thing is strictly for shredding, unless you have one of those freaky long pinky fingers to be able to hit damn Barre chords. I have an RG 520qs, but I hardly play it. It's on the market cuz of that. I play my old roadstar 2 most of the time.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
If you're a thumb-hooker then it'll never suit you, Wizard type necks only really suit technique-oriented players who play with their thumb behind the neck, it's no real use for open chords either, the fingerboard is too flat, this is why Telecasters exist.
I hook my thumb over the top all the time. My only gripe with seven strings is I can't catch those same root notes over the top like on a six.

The Fireman neck takes me about ten minutes to warm up to. I started on original wizard young I guess. :D
24 3/4" scale in general is odd for me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you like the guitar i'd give it some time, the more you play it the more natural the neck will feel then you'll know. I've certainly never had any problems hitting big chords on a flatter radius and always have my thumb over the neck, everyone's technique/hands vary.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
I'm a thumb hooker too, and I've not ever had a problem on a Wizard type neck. It's always going to depend on someones fingers/hands, and how they play.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No doubt it's fast & smooth, but I have a real short pinky with tendon damage, & my index finger has tendon damage, so I can't keep it as flat as I want for many Barre chords. Although the wizard 2 has the same radius it feels better than the wizard to me. Conversely I'm not a big fan of strat necks for bends, but chords are hell of a lot easier. The compromise is my roadstar 2. 12" radius c shape just feels right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a thumb hooker, and it wasn't long before I started to get pain in my hand (I have smaller than average hands). I am attempting to adjust my left hand technique to suit this fine guitar. I may be fine if I give it a couple weeks.

One other thing: I find I have to really apply pressure with my picking palm to mute the strings effectively. Otherwise, I get a lot of noise as I run scales.

Is that typical? Maybe it has to do with the fact I'm used to Floyd rose style and this Edge is situated differently?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Edge trems are actually a little lower profile than FR. Perhaps you might try bringing the body up a little. Muting strings is easier if the guitar isn't slung too low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It took me 6 months to get used to my first Wizard neck, but now I never think about it. In fact, when I got a Nitro Wizard, that was too fat and round.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Until I got my S970, I mainly played Stratocasters. I had no trouble getting used to the neck. I play both rhythm and lead and both are easy on this neck including barre chords. I can switch back and forth between the guitars without issue. I perhaps have larger hands than the OP? I think I prefer the Wizard neck on the Ibanez. It's become my #1 guitar.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Until I got my S970, I mainly played Stratocasters. I had no trouble getting used to the neck. I play both rhythm and lead and both are easy on this neck including barre chords. I can switch back and forth between the guitars without issue. I perhaps have larger hands than the OP? I think I prefer the Wizard neck on the Ibanez. It's become my #1 guitar.
Modern Strats have a 12" radius and a fairly thin neck so I'm not surprised the S970 feels good.

Fender are hamstrung by tradition, modern Strats really ought to have a compound radius by now and a better trem system since they own all the necessary brands. Let the vintage idiots have the re-issue stuff with the baseball bat necks and frets like fusewire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Modern Strats have a 12" radius and a fairly thin neck so I'm not surprised the S970 feels good.

Fender are hamstrung by tradition, modern Strats really ought to have a compound radius by now and a better trem system since they own all the necessary brands. Let the vintage idiots have the re-issue stuff with the baseball bat necks and frets like fusewire.
They are compound radius. The two-point trem is foolproof. No issues like you mention at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I mainly only use my Ibby for rythmics, chords and trem things.
Too thin, big width and big radius for me. Also the wizard I have is special because it has 6230 frets, really small ones that arent my cup of tea for soloing.
I still keep it because it sounds and looks great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, I think with the 43mm to 58mm wider neck perhaps Ibanez went a little too far. I have 2 Jems and 2 RG's prior 2005 and 2 jems and RG post 2005.

I find myself using all my guitars built before 2005 because of the different necks. The wider neck feels good but the 42mm to 56mm neck feels a lot better.

I am still trying to understand whether it was Mr. Vai who requested the neck to be wider. And if it did it's quite funny because Steve Vai plays every jem possible prior 2005. I am not sure whether Bo (Steve Vai's mirror jem) is a 2005. But generally I have seen him with his old guitars mainly.

Wonder why Ibanez went to 58mm and not 57mm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts