Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have an Ibanez S540 -88 and I decided to change the bridge pick up. I bought a SD TB-4. The original pick up (IBZ F2) had four conductor wires (red, white, black and green and ground of course) and the SD had the exactly same colored 4 wires so I just soldered the SD´s red to the place of IBZ´s red, SD´s white to the place of IBZ´s white and so on...

I was just wondering if it went right? And if it didn´t, which wires do I have to change?

/Heikki Lindström, Finland

·
Registered
554 Posts
This is from Duncan's website FAQ.

"All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code.
Green = beginning of adjustable coil
Red = finish of adjustable coil
Black = beginning of stud coil
White = finish of stud coil
For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is also grounded."

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
easy answer: swap the red and black wire. if the output is funky and does some weird out of phase sound when on position 4, reverse the black and green wires.

rich

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rty13ibz98 said:
easy answer: swap the red and black wire. if the output is funky and does some weird out of phase sound when on position 4, reverse the black and green wires.

rich
Thanks Rich! I swapped the red and black wires. I hope it´s right now =). To make it sure, I drew a picture of the wiring hoping that you guys could take a look at it. Can someone confirm it is right by judging from the picture (click the link for the picture).

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/kaavio/

·
Registered
363 Posts
Heka said:
The original pick up (IBZ F2) had four conductor wires (red, white, black and green and ground of course) and the SD had the exactly same colored 4 wires so I just soldered the SD´s red to the place of IBZ´s red, SD´s white to the place of IBZ´s white and so on...
I was just wondering if it went right?
the F2 was made by DiMarzio, and uses their wire color conventions. annoyingly, Duncan and other manufacturers use the same colors but the wires go to different places in the pickup.

hard answer: use a conversion chart that shows DiMarzio and Duncan wire colors to show you what color Duncan wire should go to where the red DiMarzio wire was. pickup wire color conversion chart: http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/humbucking_wiring_options.html

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hard answer: use a conversion chart that shows DiMarzio and Duncan wire colors to show you what color Duncan wire should go to where the red DiMarzio wire was. pickup wire color conversion chart: http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/humbucking_wiring_options.html
Thanks man! If it´s true that F2´s wires are colored to match DiMarzio´s colors, then it was just to do what Rich adviced me to do: to swap the black and red wires and in that case it is now connected correctly (check my previous post for the link for the current wiring diagram). Anyone still want to confuse me some more :wink: ?

/Heikki Lindström, Finland

1 - 6 of 6 Posts