Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I’ve seen several JEMs that have custom swirl paint jobs. However, I have also seen some that claim to have been that way from the factory, but they weren’t the standard colors like the DNA, PMC, and GMC. Just curious if they did this before they left the factory or if they were all after the fact.

·
Registered
669 Posts
larry mitchell had a black and white swirl, maybe another color, but he was an endorsee...afaik the only swirls released to the public were the ones you mentioned, the original universes (in p&w colors, some atd, some mkr), and the reissue universes in p&w colors and anniversary universes in blue/silver, pink/white/blue, and red/orange/yellow...i have two aftermarket swirls...one in red yellow and black and the other in red/gray and lack...i chose those colors exactly because ibanez did not offer those color schemes...d.m.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m looking at a 2003 JEM that’s been swirled. It was one that was sold new in the Japanese market, and then imported to the USA later. The seller claims that the guitar was custom made and swirled by the factory, and not by a shop after the fact. Problem is....there is no proof. I can’t find evidence of any custom swirls made to customer specifications. But, this was done for the Japanese market and I’m not educated in the area.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm looking at a 2003 JEM that's been swirled. It was one that was sold new in the Japanese market, and then imported to the USA later. The seller claims that the guitar was custom made and swirled by the factory, and not by a shop after the fact. Problem is....there is no proof. I can't find evidence of any custom swirls made to customer specifications. But, this was done for the Japanese market and I'm not educated in the area.
i couldn't tell you anything about the japanese market either, but i think we have (or had) some japanese members here at one time...maybe one of them will pop in...the japanese catalog from 2003 only lists the following models...
Steve Vai

UV777P (page 12)
JEM77V SBL
JEM7V
JEM77 FP
JEM7D

no swirls there...maybe rich will pop in with an expert opinion...d.m.

·
Administrator
7,567 Posts
Here is an example, but not a swirl. It's a JEM, but were the pyramids and graphics done at the factory, or after the fact? The buyer is asking $5k and openly admits he doesn't know what the guitar is.
I'm fairly sure that this one was a parts guitar heavily modified by someone who was a member here. I don't remember who, but I do remember that guitar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.