Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ibanez RG 7421 had quite a shoulder on the
bass Side of the neck. I spent an hour reshaping the neck with various grits of sand paper. 80,120, 600, 800,1000, 1500, and 2000. I vacuumed all the sawdust up and off the guitar. The neck feels smaller now. It didn’t have that big D shaped shoulder on it when I was done. Neck was oil finished to begin with, so I applied some oil afterward. It is more of a thin C profile now. I don’t have the hump under my left thumb now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty daring, I'm glad it turned out well! What type of oil did you use to refinish it?
I just used a little fretboard oil. I applied 3 coats. As I play more on it and am more sure of the feel of the neck, I will probably apply tung oil, but that stuff remains sticky for awhile.

I had sanded both sides down, but didn’t remove much wood on the treble side of the neck. The neck had its hump I could feel under my left thumb when playing it. Being on the autism spectrum, I have always had discomfort with things like seams on socks and tags in my shirts, and stuff like that.

I had to remove the hump because I couldn’t play the neck without being acutely aware of the uneven feel of the neck. I notice nothing now when I play it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nice work. I need to do this to an old beater I have, which has a strong D profile – dislike that shoulder on the bass side. But first, the kitchen floor poly needs to be stripped off 😂.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work. I need to do this to an old beater I have, which has a strong D profile – dislike that shoulder on the bass side. But first, the kitchen floor poly needs to be stripped off 😂.
I had thought about returning the guitar based on the neck profile, but likely any replacement that I could have selected in the Ibanez line might well have had the same issue. The model that I got was an RG4721 which costs $399.00 new. I was quite lucky in that this guitar didn’t have a gloss finish on it, so everything feathered together quite nicely.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah, most RGs (or Ss) have some kind of Wizard neck, so you'd be getting the same basic shape, unless you went with a completely different model, and then you're stuck for 7s unless you want to fork out for an AZ.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a little more shaping. I would sand a little, then check the feel of it. I re oiled the neck and am letting the oil soak in. As I like it even better now, I guess I will quit while I’m ahead. Don’t want to remove too much material.

The way that it sits in my hand now feels really good. It was just a little too big to begin with.
now that there is absolutely no finish on the back of the neck, it is really fast. I did get a really big pile of sawdust when I was using the 80 and 120 grit. Then I smoothed it all out with 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. I will just lightly clean it with some steel wool in the future.

Back in the day I had a Stew Mac Tele neck that I reshaped. It was as thin as a wizard neck when I got done with it and I did it asymmetricallay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts