Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Vai ever say he"doesn't play Eugene's Trick Bag live because it's too difficult"?

Did Steve ever say: he "doesn't play Eugene's Trick Bag live because it's too difficult to get right every time."?

According to OneManAndTheCat, on YouTube,
this came from "an interview in Guitar Player back in the late 80s"
And Steve also said he "played the whole arpeggio section using alternate picking" in the same interview.

-------------------------------------
Also: ScoutSniper1990 on YouTube says:
"Vai said himself, in an interview with Premier Guitar,he doesn't he play it live cos it's too difficult."
---------------
HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN A MAGAZINE ARTICLE LIKE THIS?

I checked all the Guitar Player issues from 1986 thru 1989 [inclu Oct '86] & there is no such article!
I also checked all the Premier Guitar from Feb 2013 back to 2007 [when it began] & didn't find it.
__________________________________________________ ____

And, HAS STEVE EVER PLAYED EUGENE'S TRICK BAG LIVE?---
other than in Seoul, Korea & Japan in 1997 [Fire garden Tour.]

especially the OPENING ARPEGGIOS LIVE? which were omitted from the Korea & Japan shows.

__________________________________________________ ____

Maybe someone knows the approximate date of the magazine?,
or what was on the cover? Was it a British or American?

---------------------------------------------------------------
I have made a list of all the likely Vai Magazine articles for all issues from 1986 thru 1989, but haven't looked at them yet.

I would really appreciate your input in my quest!
-------------
These are the magazines I'm considering:

Guitar School
Guitar [For The Practicing Musician]
Guitar World
Guitarist [British]
------------------------

Guitar Player: I checked all these from 1986-1989 already
Premier Guitar: I checked all these from Feb 2013 back to 2007 when it began
Total Guitar [British] began in 1994: so I'm ignoring it for now

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Re: Did Vai ever say he"doesn't play Eugene's Trick Bag live because it's too difficu

He probably didn't say that. It is not the hardest thing, it just isn't that 'Vai-ish'. At least, that is my theory.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Re: Did Vai ever say he"doesn't play Eugene's Trick Bag live because it's too difficu

I went through a bunch of my magazines last night and found the transcription of the whole "suite". Nothing about the arpeggios in there.

I don't think Vai wrote the music for the final "Eugene's Trick Bag" part... I think it was Vai's adaptation of an existing musical piece. I'll look at the transcription again tonight, it may have mentioned it.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I don't think Vai wrote the music for the final "Eugene's Trick Bag" part... I think it was Vai's adaptation of an existing musical piece. I'll look at the transcription again tonight, it may have mentioned it.
Based on Paganini's 5th Caprice. :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

I went to his show here in NZ in 1996, he played it live, and faster than the movie version and Mike Keneally did the harmony parts....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I went to his show here in NZ in 1996, he played it live, and faster than the movie version and Mike Keneally did the harmony parts....
Thanks for your reply!
Do you remember if he played the opening arpeggios?

And if so, did you record it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I went through a bunch of my magazines last night and found the transcription of the whole "suite". Nothing about the arpeggios in there.

Thanks for your effort!
If convenient: I'm curious what magazine & year/ month was that?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Thanks for your reply!
Do you remember if he played the opening arpeggios?

And if so, did you record it?
No sorry didn't record it.... he did play the entire thing, from start to finish.... followed by Waltzing Matilda (for which he was boo'd, its an Australian songs which you don't play in NZ :).... was a great show... Fire Garden tour....

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Thanks for your effort!
If convenient: I'm curious what magazine & year/ month was that?
Guitar School - April '89 - Has Vai's "Crossroads Suite" and "Big Trouble", plus Hendrix, Van Halen, Led Zep, and Ry Cooder songs transcribed. Vai is on the cover with a pretty floral Ibanez with a handle.

I have several from back in that time frame with Vai interviews and articles. I might try to check in them too.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts

The idea that Vai can't play something he's famous for playing is so ridiculous to me as to be laughable. Is there anyone anywhere who honestly thinks Vai can't play that live?? Anyone who has actually seen or heard him play? THOUSANDS of people can play that piece, it's been available in tab for 30 years.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

What is interesting is how something is recorded.

Like on the Beatles with their masterful recordings and sound, if the rooftop concert is any indication, even legendary musicians can't replicate their sound live. I think with some stuff like post-Sgt. Pepper's, Boston, Styx, and some Pink Floyd stuff, there are songs not meant to be captured perfectly live. Some stuff is left for the studio to create an ambiance piece designed for headphones chilling back in bedroom.

That being said I can't think of any players more precise in what I have seen online in live stuff, year after year, than the Vais and Satrianis of the world thus their lofty place in shred lore.

This is just plain stupid great and way beyond Eugene's trick bag:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Guitar School - April '89 - Has Vai's "Crossroads Suite" and "Big Trouble", plus Hendrix, Van Halen, Led Zep, and Ry Cooder songs transcribed. Vai is on the cover with a pretty floral Ibanez with a handle.

I have several from back in that time frame with Vai interviews and articles. I might try to check in them too.
Great,FireEagle!,Thanks!---You've really helped me! I was hoping to get a look at Guitar School - April '89.

You've already said there's "Nothing about the arpeggios in there."

So just to confirm: Is there an interview with Vai in that issue? [or anything about not playing Eugene's Trick Bag live?]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Here are some magazines on my list to check :

----------------------------------------------
GUITAR WORLD:
October 1987: Vai On The Cover, "Vai & Satriani Shred & Compare Notes"
--------------
January 1990 Steve Vai on the cover, "Whitesnake: Inside Story Interview w Steve"
-----------
September 1993,Steve Vai on the cover, "Steve Vai: Exclusive Interview"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GUITAR [for the practicing musician]:
March 1986
------------------------
December 1986, Vai On The Cover, "the All Steve['s] Issue"
----------------------
March 1987 Vai & David Lee Roth, Ladies Nite in Buffalo
-----------------
May 1989, Feature-? on Steve Vai,transcription of Vai's Hot Dog & a Shake
-------------------
June 1988, Vai On The Cover, Steve Vai's Skyscrapers,Ry Cooder
-------------------
December 1988, Column by Steve Vai,
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GUITAR SCHOOL:
July 1990 Steve Vai on the cover,"STEVE VAI SOLO!" Steve Vai Profile-? & 2 transcriptions
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GUITAR PLAYER:
April 1990, Steve Vai on the Cover, "Joe Satriani & Steve Vai: First Time Ever! - The Ultimate Interview"
-----------------------
May 1990, Steve Vai on the Cover, "Steve Vai!"

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

Took me three seconds to find this on youtube.
Would have been less if I had a faster Internet connection. ;)
Skip to about 6 minutes if you just want to hear the Paganini part.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts

I think he is talking about the opening arpeggios. Regardless, everyone knows Vai can play them.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Great,FireEagle!,Thanks!---You've really helped me! I was hoping to get a look at Guitar School - April '89.

You've already said there's "Nothing about the arpeggios in there."

So just to confirm: Is there an interview with Vai in that issue? [or anything about not playing Eugene's Trick Bag live?]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Here are some magazines on my list to check :

----------------------------------------------
GUITAR WORLD:
January 1990 Steve Vai on the cover, "Whitesnake: Inside Story Interview w Steve"
-----------
September 1993,Steve Vai on the cover, "Steve Vai: Exclusive Interview"
--------------
October 1987: Vai On The Cover, "Vai & Satriani Shred & Compare Notes"

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GUITAR [for the practicing musician]:
March 1986
------------------------
December 1986, Vai On The Cover, "the All Steve['s] Issue"
----------------------
March 1987 Vai & David Lee Roth, Ladies Nite in Buffalo
-----------------
May 1989, Feature-? on Steve Vai,transcription of Vai's Hot Dog & a Shake
-------------------
June 1988, Vai On The Cover, Steve Vai's Skyscrapers,Ry Cooder
-------------------
December 1988, Column by Steve Vai,
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GUITAR SCHOOL:
July 1990 Steve Vai on the cover,"STEVE VAI SOLO!" Steve Vai Profile-? & 2 transcriptions
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GUITAR PLAYER:
April 1990, Steve Vai on the Cover, "Joe Satriani & Steve Vai: First Time Ever! - The Ultimate Interview"
-----------------------
May 1990, Steve Vai on the Cover, "Steve Vai!"
Yes, there is an interview, but it is mostly about his background and solo work. Kind of a "how he got where he is today" interview. Nothing much about the "Crossroads Suite" that is transcribed in the issue, and nothing about not playing it live. There are a couple of pages about how he plays the various parts of the suite... even about how to play the arpeggios in the beginning of Eugene's Trick Bag, but no mention of live performance. Funny thing... my old bookmark is still in the magazine (an annoying subscription card from a Guitar Player) at the beginning of Eugene's Trick Bag. I might have to have another go at this one... 25 years later! :smile: But my fingers are 25 years older now... :sad:

Other ones I have:

Guitar for the Practicing Musician - Feb '90 - Vai and Coverdale on the cover, transcription of "Kitten's Got Claws." No interview, just performance notes regarding the song.

Guitar School - July '90 - Interview and transcriptions of "For the Love of God" and "I would Love To." The interview is just about Passion and Warfare, nothing about E.T.B.

A couple others:

Guitar World - Nov '92 - Transcription of "The Audience is Listening", no interview.

Guitar World - Sept '93 - Vai and that freaky singer dude on the cover. Big interview and private lesson, all about Sex and Religion, nothing about E.T.B.

Those are the only ones I have with Vai in them. Hope it helps narrow the search!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

There are a couple of pages about how he plays the various parts of the suite... even about how to play the arpeggios in the beginning of Eugene's Trick Bag,
Yes,that's exactly what I'm looking for! [or at least part of it] THANKS,FireEagle!--- for all your careful attention & efforts!

I'm REALLY trying to found out as much info as I can about how Steve played the Eugene's Trick Bag OPENING ARPEGGIOS & if he ever played them live, [or commented on that.]
And I have taken a good look at the existing tabs.

--------------------
PS: I don't think I need the other articles you mentioned,but thanks again!: you saved me the trouble of seeking them out!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Well I'll be darned... they DID skip the arpeggio part live.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

No sorry didn't record it.... he did play the entire thing, from start to finish.... followed by Waltzing Matilda (for which he was boo'd, its an Australian songs which you don't play in NZ :).... was a great show... Fire Garden tour....
Very Interesting! Thanks,Sean777!------I would love to someday find a recording of Vai playing the "Opening Arpeggios" Live! [& apparently it may exist]*

So you're sure he played the "Opening Arpeggios"?
Just to be clear on what is meant by the "Opening Arpeggios": the Am, E7, A7, Dm, Bdim7 chords [in 16th notes] with 8 notes ascending & 8 notes descending.
followed by Am in an ascending only [skipping every other note] pattern & finally a slide to high G# on the 1st string 16th fret.

And this is all before the Paganini inspired, faster & more distorted section, higher on the neck.--- YES?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I would like to find ANY other version of the "Opening Arpeggios" recorded by Vai! : say, an alternate take from the studio recordings.

NOTE: Jack Butler does NOT play [his own alternate version of] the "Opening Arpeggios" in the movie.
And the "Opening Arpeggios" also do NOT appear on the Flexi Disc from Guitar Player, March 1988 [which includes "Head Cutting Duel", "Butler's Bag" & "Eugene's Trick Bag"].
Also the "Opening Arpeggios" were NOT played in the Fire Garden Tour recordings I have from Japan [audio only] & Seoul,Korea [TV Video] .

----------------------------------------------------------------
PS: Did you mean this was [the Fire Garden tour] in 1996?... or 1997?-----& do you recall what month/day?

·
Registered
791 Posts

The New Zealand gig would be Auckland Powerstation Feb 16th 1997.

But why would Vai have played the opening arpeggios in Auckland when 3 days later in Seoul he didn't (as shown on Youtube, the Seoul gig was Feb 19th)? Or he didn't previously in Japan (eg the Osaka gig was Jan 29th).

Not least of which because he's playing the Jack Butler role, who doesn't play the arpeggios anyway...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts