Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Simon, do you remember this was hanging on the wall at Rockers a few months back
cerealk said:
The price on it was a bit much (£3,995) but when you consider the fact that the Jem spawned the RG as we know it, Steve has never played played an RG......
He might have given the odd RG a spin but his guitars since 1987 have always been Jems and Universes.
With that being said I've seen an old DLR show where Steve played an orange RG550 and chucked it in the audience.

ilia

·
Registered
405 Posts
the rg was orginally the rs roadstar then it became the rg Vai played rg's and charvels befor he constructed his jem which is a super rg same as the pgm and the jpm just like the js series is a radius or s series spin off if you are a vai fan and can live without the vines, monkey grip, and claw cavity buy a rg550 and put some evo's in it

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Um the RG *name* existed before the JEM. The current RG body shape did not. Pre-JEM RGs were a Roadstar shaped guitar.

The current RG was intended originally as a cheaper alternative to the Jem line.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The rg and the jem were released in the same year the rg replaced the roadstar and proline sereies my bad but it's not the cheaper alternative to a jem a jem is a signature rg in my eyes lol!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Steve has played many RG models. He use to destroy 550s & 570s during the Whitesnake tour; he would solo on them, smash them, and throw the pieces into the crowd. I have a busted up neck from the Bismarck show in '91!!
Josh

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
gunkungfu said:
The rg and the jem were released in the same year the rg replaced the roadstar and proline sereies my bad but it's not the cheaper alternative to a jem a jem is a signature rg in my eyes lol!
According to Rich Lasner's interview here: http://www.ibanez87.it/english/e-rich-lasner.aspx

The RG the way we know it now was designed as a cheaper alternative to the JEM line.

Snip from that interview:
After the huge success of the JEM guitar, we were faced with lots of pressure from dealers and the head office to make a less expensive version that more people could afford.
It's grown a lot since then, but this is the reason it got the body-shape. If not for this decision the RGs could possibly look like the RS series still.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have heard somewhere Vai played rgs when he's going to huck the guitar into the audience, smash the guitar or put a beating on the guitar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts