Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The B's have slightly more bottom-end because of the slight extra bulk but then the A's have plenty as well.

The A/BV's are great cabs though as they have the Celestion 'Vintage 30' speakers. Best speaker ever made in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
even if you add more bass it might not sound the same, it's just because of how the sound waves reach your ear and how your ear percieves them. Just adding eq probably won't change it. If your just wanting a half stack you should go with the angled cab, it's just sounds nicer usually for yourself when you are playing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
well they both have good bottom end, you just will be able to hear the highs and mids better when you are standing next to it with the angled cab. If you just want to hear lots of lows get the flat front. I find it is just a preferance of what you want to hear when you are playing next to it more then anything. It's not like the angled cab has a wimpy bottom, in all reality they are pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
873 Posts
sorry to change subject.. but the other guitarist in my band has used both a DSL100 and TSL100 on top of a 1960A cab. not AV.. and to me it has like no bottom end at all.. I have 2 1x12 mesa cabs half back and 3/4 back, and they have a ton more low end and thickness than his 4x12. it just sounds very very thin to me. i don't know anything about the AV and BV though.. i haven't heard those. if you looking for a lot of low end you may want to look for other cabs. just my opinion

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a TSL100 with 1960A cab and I have no problem getting enough bass out of it. Bass frequencies are bass player's territory anyway...but I get more than enough for my taste. But the tsl is very tricky to setup right, it might be just that...Mine is tubed with JJ's Ecc83s and E34L which are darker that original tubes and biased pretty low ( around 82 mV ) which makes a big difference...

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, gotta second adam, if you want tremendous low end, a Marshall cap isn't the way to go. A Recto 4x12's quite a bit pricier, but has significantly more depth.

Really, what you need to do here is go try a few different cabs, Marshall, Mesa, and whatever else you can find. ;)

-D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree that the regular 1960A Marshall cab with the Celestion GT's aren't the best sounding cabs.

That's why the AV's are definitely the one to go for. The difference between the speakers in the AV's (Vintage 30's) and the normal A (Celestion GT's) is huge.

As someone else said, you won't get that missing bottom-end from your amp, it's down to the cab and the speakers in that cab.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You want the 1960AV cab. The difference between them has been well explained, but if I am only using one cabinet, it will be an angled cabinet. The bottom speakers project the sound straight out like a straight cabinet, and the top ones project the sound up so they have more presence.

The 1960A and 1960B cabinets have Celestion G12M75 speakers in them.... they suck (I put Classic Leads in my angled cabinet and the difference is incredible! ) The V30s sound great with any amp and are one of my favorites so I highly recommend them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts