Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been awhile since i last posted..anyway, I recently changed my string gauge from standard XL .09's to XL .0105's and noticed a DRASTIC difference in two ways: better tone of course(especially for jazz style comping and leads), but it is VERY difficult to bend them! I didnt think going up a gauge would do that. Reason i put them on is firstly, they were free and I'm studying jazz/fusion at Berklee so more tone is important to me right now (i'm willing to sacrifice the insane shredding for awhile..lol) I've setup my guitar and gave it plenty of break-in time...maybe i'm just used to the 9's?? FYI i am an experienced player (or so it seems) and never have trouble adjusting to different gauges, like when i pick up a les paul or mia strat or any different guitar, i can shred away with ease..

Cant figure this one out.. i have a showcase coming up this weekend and really want to get things straightened out before then, any advice would help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
dude, it's the extra tension...

playing guitar requires such small movements and accurate forces from your muscles so that when you make even a small change like that, (from 9s to 10s) the change is drastic and you must spend some time getting used to it.

·
Developer
863 Posts
hmh i spose the strings have been stretched?

naturally higher gaged strings are going to be harder to bend, try and bend or strech em for half an hour, they may not be fully broken in
if not, sorry

Also take it to a guitar shop, ask the workers for opinions

Brett

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I changed from 9s to 10s about 2 months ago. Im completely acclimated to them now. They just take some getting use to. I like them better than 9s. 10s FTW!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I did read anything in the OP about tweaking the truss rod for the different gauge. Then again, there was no mention of the action being higher either but still, it's worth mentioned.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I did read anything in the OP about tweaking the truss rod for the different gauge. Then again, there was no mention of the action being higher either but still, it's worth mentioned.
you can get away with not adjusting the neck sometimes but the action and intonation is different.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I had the same problem so I went back to 9's. Main reason is that during a 4-hour gig if I play 10's my hand muscles get so tired halfway through I can't do all my fancy-fast stuff anymore.
I really don't have time right now to re-learn muscle-memory for the higher tension 10's or build up the strength I need to play 10's like I play 9's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for all your comments/advice, im guna see what i can do and make the best of these 10s for awhile, but i plan on switching bakc soon. My plan is to get my muscles used to these 10s kinda like an excercise so that way when i switch back to 9s, i can fly on them! But definately Ibanez=.09 for sure, it just feels right, works better for these guitars i guess.

THanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
But definately Ibanez=.09 for sure, it just feels right, works better for these guitars i guess.
Just to clarify, you feel that 9s work better for you on an Ibanezes.

String gauge choice is a very personal matter. I for one don't like 9s on any guitar, regardless of the brand or scale length. I used 10s on any guitar with a 25.5" scale length and 11s on any guitar with a 24.75" scale length.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just to throw another idea into the mix, I settled into custom light string sets. 9-11-16-26-36-46 If you really want to go with 10's the CL's might be a way to transition to them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i know, not trying to start a dicussion on that, i totally agree, just saying thats why they put 9s on in the factory, they are just the type of guitar built around 9s

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi, it's 11's for me. I played for years with 10's it does take a little to adjust though, so instead of waiting for my muscles to adjust I drop tuned a half step, I used to play at standard pitch. I love the extra tone I get from a heavier gauge string.

Regards,
Nelson

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
i know, not trying to start a dicussion on that, i totally agree, just saying thats why they put 9s on in the factory, they are just the type of guitar built around 9s
..and I would beg to differ.

Most 25.5" scale length guitars come from the factory with 9s because that's what most players use on guitars with that scale length. Conversely, Gibsons come from the factory with 10s because with their 24.75" scale length, they need the slightly heavier gauge to give a similar tension/feel as the 25.5" scale length with 9s but neither scale length is built around a particular gauge of strings.

The only guitars that are built around a certain gauge of strings are ones that have longer scale lengths (e.g. baritones at 27.5" scale length) than normal or shorter (e.g. 24" like Fender Duo Sonics).

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Don't forget, Stevie Ray played on 13's!!
And Vai plays 9's

I have always been told that a 25.5 scale length can take a thinner gauge than a shorter scale length, and whilst I haven't always taken any notice I can see.

Are you using the same make of strings? Maybe some of the guages are proportionally thicker on some of the strings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts