Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some may not like them but I'm finding those F1s to be very versatile depending on how the pole pieces are raised. And obviously, the funky slot head pole pieces are not an issue as then can be changed out to other ibanez pup poles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How do you adjust the pole pieces?

I have an Ibz F2 and have always been disappointed with it. It sounds much better than the V series, but not quite as good as a DiMarzio.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It does sound good, but I always end up swapping it out with an actual DiMarzio. It seems to me to have lower output than my other humbuckers, which means I have to get it close to the strings, and then it loses clarity. Maybe I should try it in the neck position. It made sense when it was in my RG760, since the other pickups were single coils and it all balanced out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you adjust the pole pieces?

I have an Ibz F2 and have always been disappointed with it. It sounds much better than the V series, but not quite as good as a DiMarzio.
Adjust with little allen wrenches that fit into the tops of the pole pieces.

I've had some F2s as well and couldn't get into them either. They were hotter than the F1s and I thought I liked that, but they didn't really do anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You're on to something when you say the F2 in your RG balanced better with the single coils... the setup, the other pickups, the type of wood... all will effect how you hear the pickup.

And [for me] to be a perfectionist... waylay00 is 100% correct... the Ibz/USA pickups are actually DiMarzio's. [Co-designed by Ibanez & DiMarzio and made in the same New York factory as all the other DiMarzios.

[Now, let's see if I can insert pics properly and not end up looking lame. As usual.]

·
Registered
754 Posts
i've got a r442 with a f2 in it. sounds pretty good to me, although hotter than what i typically like (fred). i would agree that it has similar output to the tone zone without the 'awwww' or vocal like qualities the tone zone is known for.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have an F4 laying around.. this thread is making me want to try it.

how would this sound in the bridge of a strat?... in an HSS config, with low output single coils.

if the F4 is really similar to the paf pro, then i assume it would sound at least decent...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I have had an F2 laying around for quite awhile and have always wanted to know what it would sound like in a basswood body. I had it in mahogany and it wasn't suited well in there for my tastes but it has been so long ago that I don't remember what it actually sounded like.

I might have to try the F2 in a basswood project I'm working on after checking out the chart Ed provided. The project will be a HxS setup so if you say the F2 balances well with a single that sounds like it would be a good choice. Do you have a recommendation for a good single that works well with it to get great Strat neck pup tones with strong output wired with a 3 way switch?

·
Registered
125 Posts
erikm5150: the F4 is similar to the PAF, not the PAF-Pro. The PAF/F4 from what I've read should work just fine with two single coils. Your strat's wood is another factor [plus your efx/amp]. Please, let us know how it works out, if you do it.

screamndemon69: I'm not even qualified to recommend a single coil [let alone any pups, lol.] That's why I hedge my comment by saying he was "onto something" when slugman said it made sense in his RG760 [hss]. Your basswood project with the F2 [running in your efx chain and amp] could very well suit your sound... can't say 'til it's all plugged in, I guess. Hopefully, one of the many more knowledgeable guys here will chime in to help us out.

I'm starting to really see the difference, now myself. I need to haul three radius' to my next rehearsal to A-B[-C] them to really tell, it's been so long since I've plugged in my F1/basswood guitar. I liked the sound back then, but have since changed my "rig".

I've been playing an IBZUSA/basswood [F1 equivalent????] and it's too metal sounding for my tastes. Just last night I could hear how my PAF-Pro/alder is much fuller, warmer in the same efx/amp chain. So, I need to bust out the F1/basswood to compare the actual F1 vs the IBZUSA.

Then again, the PAF-Pro is in an alder body, so I guess I should start swapping my F1, F2, IBZUSA, and PAF-Pro, into basswood bodies to really see their differences, but that's bit of soldering, lol.

I won't even focus on how they are with single coils and HSS, HSH configurations, lol. [single coils are: stacked humbucker C1 and a true single coil C3.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts