Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been playing guitar for years and I've never been able to afford a good amp until now, so I don't know much about equipment. Now I have the money to spend on some gear and I wanted to buy 1 amp that would have everything... so I bought a Vetta II and an Ibanez Prestige RGT3020. I know that Vetta amps have a digital tone that a lot of people hate and franqly, so do I. So I wanted to know if there is a tupe preamp/pedal out there that I can use with my amp's distortion that would make my tone warmer and and make it sound tube-like? I understand it won't sound like a tube amp, but anything close to it will do. Is it even possible to use both distortions on at the same time and make it sound good? I was looking into the tone bone classic and tritone. I play Progressive metal, instrumental rock and fusion. Thanks in advance.

It's a Vetta II 2-12 amp btw.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Tone is all subjective and one man's meat may be anothers poison. Check out the T.C Electronics Vintage tube primer pedal.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Why would you buy an amp that you hate the tone of?
What good is an amp that does a million things if you don't like the one thing it should do?

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor pedal is fantastic. Hooked up to a solid state amp on a clean channel it really comes close to a tube amp sound. Go try it out, I'm sure you will like it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I must repeat the question Elcid asked..

"Tone" is very subjective. I can get an awesome tone out of my solid state peavey vyper. Does it sound like a 4x12 100 watt tube stack? No, because that is not what it is. But it does indeed sound good, and with just about any guitar I use too.

Besides, IMO of the genres of music you listed that you play...that amp will give you everything you need and more, I'd spend some more time dialing in some tones before you pass it up!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What good is an amp that does a million things if you don't like the one thing it should do?
I never said that I bought it even though I hated the tone. I bought it because it sounded good to me at the time and because it does everything I need it to do. Also, I'm able to control it fairly easy. As I kept on playing the amp I started noticing how digital it sounded. So again, my question is, how can I make my amp sound more tube like? I love my Vetta II, I just need a more real sound from it using it's distortion. Thanks to IbanezDaemon and LonePhantom, I'll do some research on those pedals. Btw IbanezDaemon, does the T.C. pedal not having any actual tubes affect the sound?

Any other pedals/preamp suggestions highly appreciated and if anyone have any first hand experience with the Tonebone classic or tritone please share your thoughts :). Thanks.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Does it affect the sound? It's there to affect the sound in the first place mate. All I can say is I've had a few T.C pedals over the years and had no problems with them. They make quality effects IMO.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No matter what you put between you and the amp, it's still going to be your playing and the amps amping. I agree with the others who say, don't waste time and money trying to make an amp you don't really like the tone of sound like something it isn't. You'd be better off using that amp for what you like and getting a second amp that does what the Vetta can't. You'll go through a lot of pedals trying to get your Vetta to sound "better" but in the end, you'll still always feel that if you had a real tube amp, you'd sound better (and you probably will) so you might as well cut your losses and go straight to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
/sigh...

Not sure why people insist on posting something that's not tube pedal/preamp related... I will state some things that I posted before and maybe it will be clear. I think my posts still aren't completely clear.

1. I love my Vetta II, I'm just having problems with that digital tone.
2. I'm not selling it, trading it or getting rid of it.
3. I'm only interested in tube pedals/preamp posts, so please save comments like "You need to buy a tube amp" or "Tone is subjective" or "Tone is in your fingers" please.

I don't want to be rude, but I've heard all this before and it's like people always answer that way when they don't have a technical answer. Also if this helps at all, I will be starting to play in small gigs and I will be playing a lot of different songs ranging from Dream Theater to Van Halen... so I need all the tones I can get. The Vetta II is what I need at the moment. Once our band is known a bit better, we can start playing our own music and I'll get my favorite tube heads and a Mesa Cab.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I guess I misunderstood the line about "Vetta amps have a digital tone most people hate and frankly, so do I". My mistake

There is no way to make the amp something it isn't. It's a digital modeling amp so it will sound digital. You can put whatever you want in front of it and it will sound like a pedal in front of a digital amp. There is a reason people still use tube amps despite it being and old technology, it's because nothing else sounds like it. You can clearify all you want, but that doesnt change the fact that if the amp doesn't sound like you want it to, your best bet is to cut your losses and get something that will.

People insist on telling you that because that's the fact of the matter. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear but reposting the same question won't change the situation.

Rarely are gear problems fixable by throwing more money at them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There's a lot of "Tube" pedals on the market. I dont have that particular amp, and I've never played with any tube pedals so I can't speak from personal experience,

But something I've found is that a good OD pedal such as the boss blues driver does "warm up" the tone by adding a kind of natural "grit" to more digital sounding amps, especially on clean settings, as well as adding more body to distorted tones. Just set the drive way low and turn up the level on the pedal. Might not completely solve your problem, but it might help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I misunderstood the line about "Vetta amps have a digital tone most people hate and frankly, so do I". My mistake

There is no way to make the amp something it isn't. It's a digital modeling amp so it will sound digital. You can put whatever you want in front of it and it will sound like a pedal in front of a digital amp. There is a reason people still use tube amps despite it being and old technology, it's because nothing else sounds like it. You can clearify all you want, but that doesnt change the fact that if the amp doesn't sound like you want it to, your best bet is to cut your losses and get something that will.

People insist on telling you that because that's the fact of the matter. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear but reposting the same question won't change the situation.

Rarely are gear problems fixable by throwing more money at them.
I just bought a tonebone classic and my Vetta does sound like I want it to. I'm completely happy with it. I went to a music store and started messing around with a few good tube amps and I went back to a vetta and played with a few good tube pedals. I found the tonebone to be pretty accurate and really warms my tone up.

Mathias, you're pretty dead on. I tried the tonebone's distortion on a vetta clean channel and it does sound pretty good. It also serves as a great distortion boost. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts