Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my Jem 7VWH for a month and a bit now. Its a fantastic guitar. My problem is, it's a bit too fantastic. The realisation has now come that I've spent over £1000 on a guitar that to be honest, I can't really do alot with. I'm too scared to really play it like I would my previous guitar, coz I really don't want to scratch it at all. I can't modify it at all as I'd like to, because again, it just scares me. And also, I'm probably not actually good enough to warrant owning an expensive guitar. And then there's the fact the only amp I have is a second hand carlsbro 40 watter that I picked up for £90. Talk about an imbalance...

To be honest, I'd be happy putting together something off of warmoth. At least then I could piss about with it, and replace bits without worrying, and still have something fairly nice to play. Then I'd also be able to buy a better amp, and sound slightly less ****ty overall.

Main problem is, about half of the price of the Jem was my 18th birthday present. My parents will be somewhat annoyed if I just sold it. But what else can I do?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Sure this is a tough one. In the end if you rather have a guitar made out of parts from Warmoth I don't see why your parents will have a problem with that. Just my 2 cents.

Regards

André

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've got this same opinion. I'd prefer to play a £500~ guitar and throw it around at live concerts then bring a JEM mainly because i'm scared of theft.

I'd go for the Warmoth option. That way you can hit it around a bit + It'll be original (one of a kind) + the chances of people stealing and selling it on are a little less.

Also, you'd be able to afford a better amp. I'd suggest getting a Marshall, you really can't go wrong with them!

Also, the setup i use now is a Ibanez RG7 into a Marshall Super Bass Head and 2x12" cab. I find that i can put a distortion pedal into the super bass and just run the guitar of the second channel (the bass channel) and turn up the treble. This gives a VERY booming sound which is just perfect for what i do. It doesn't get mushy because i use a 2x12" Marshall cab (the size of a 4x12" though - Any ideas what this model could be guys?).

It depends on what style you play, but i'd strongly suggest the Marshall Modefour head and cab. I tried one out not long ago and found that not only was the Dirty channel great, but the clean channel will suite anything anyone will ever need. The crunch channel is also very good. It's a very versatile amplifier as well as a one-trick pony i guess. You can play very heavy Meshuggah riffs on it (i tried an 8-string on it :p) or you can play very nice bluesy riffs. Also, it's very cost effective (around £900 for the half stack).

·
Registered
399 Posts
I say just keep it man

save up and buy urself an amp

i just bought meself a new stack, have had it for only bout 6 months... my '05' jem 7v is on the way, its gonna be here in 2 weeks :) i cant wait

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
chopvai said:
I say just keep it man

save up and buy urself an amp
Totally agree. You'll regret selling the 7v instantly. Just save up some extra for another guitar aswell. There's nothing stopping you from having more than one!LOL! :)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
keep the guitar.

A. It's the best guitar you're going to own for a long time
B. It has sentimental value
C. At some point, having a higher quality guitar does help your practicing

Save up a little bit of money and buy yourself a beatup RG or strat to toss around on stages and have fun with, but keep that guitar.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yeh, something like a RG550 or a RG750. You can pick one up for as little as £200 to £300. Plus they're good workhorse guitars and you always need a back-up guitar if you're jamming/gigging.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the the idea of keeping it and saving up for another guitar as well is sensible, the Jem does actually represent my guitar capital for the next couple of years at least lol. And other money I get at the moment will be needed to buy food at uni! And beer of course.

And of course, saving up and buying another guitar doesnt solve the problem of not having a decent amp, and it would still mean I'd have a very lovely, but expensive and little used guitar lying round.

As for sentimental value, I can't say it has that much for me really. I guess maybe I should wait til my parents arent looking and sell it...

·
Registered
184 Posts
im in the same dilemma, with my universe guitar, i barely play it, i would like to change it for an ibanez rg1527 and modded to a jem look alike, with monkey grip, no inlays, just one on twelve fret with my initials, emg pickups and a cool paint job,
The reason why i barely play the universe is that my band has now changed the music style, we now play something softer and poper, the universe is meant to sound heavy, thats why i use more my parker guitar,
A part of me says that i should keep it, and other part of me says that its alot money to be just in the case.
its a great dilemma.

i would say to you to keep it cuz its a present, you cant sell or give away presents, and man its a great present, play and play it until your fingers are numbed. that guitar should work as an inspiration, cuz thats a really cool guitar, and a present from your parents. keep rockin man

·
Registered
399 Posts
just buy a j custom hehe :p

hey man, at the end of the day its really upto you :) cant say much more..

what are you ganna tell your parents if you do end up selling it? would they mind since it was a pressi from them to you? didn't you make ur dad drive 2 hours or so to pik it up? hehe if my memory hasnt failed me :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I expect they'd be a little peeved at first, but they would probably understand the situation eventually. All the money would be going back into playing guitar, its not as if I'd be selling it to fund something else entirely different. Like a drug habit or something lol.

I think the thing my Dad would be most annoyed about is the distance we drove to collect it turning out to be a waste lol. Though I wouldn't say it was a waste, as the Jem is a fantastic guitar and its been a pleasure to play (while being so cautious with it lol), I just can't help but think I'm not ready for such a guitar at this stage. I need to experment with stuff a bit more, get a decent rig sorted, and still have that dream guitar to aspire to owning.

Maybe I'll leave it for a while. It's gonna get left at home while I'm at Uni next year (tooo much insurance cost/hassle to take it). That might give me time to think it over, and if it's left at home unused for so long, it gives me another reason to part with it.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Keep it man!!!!! It's an Angels Instrument. Remember how excited you were to get it...we all do! :lol: I play the hell out of my 7vwh and it has survived just fine. Like some of the other guys were saying....save up for a better amp. You say your not good enogh so practice hard on your crap amp and then you'll be better when you get the new amp. If you get rid of it you'll be sorry in the end....trust me;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Look.... so many people are GASsing for a JEM, and you wanna sell yours off just because you feel unworthy of its greatness?! If you feel that you're not good enough yet to justify using a JEM, the solution is so simple: practice your chops till you become better! A few hours of woodshedding every day will definitely get you the technical ability required to make yourself 'worthy' of owning a JEM. :)

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Ever consider just having a frank discussion like this one, but WITH your parrents? Parrents can be understanding, and actually quite smart. They might have some good advice for you ;)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
[opinion]

keep the 7vwh.

this forum is full of stories about people regretting selling guitars.

you want a cheaper guitar to muck about with? save up a little and buy one. it's easier to save for a cheaper guitar than to find you regret being rid of a 7vwh and saving enough for that again.

plus, as you said, the 7vwh was largely from your folks. that's something you'll remember about that guitar long after your folks are gone.

for what it's worth, i had some similar thoughts after getting mine. my solution is to buy a stack of parts and build a semi-beater as a modification test-bed.

[/opinion]

damo

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Half was a gift so just PLAY THE DAMN GUITAR and stop worring about this nonsense. The VWH would have a MUCH better resale than some horrendous warmouth-special, even if you bruised the VWH up with dings and scratches.

I don't get you guys who BUY then "can't play" these guitars.That requires a serious mental readjustment :)

Now if you overpaid and were ripped off with the VWH that is a different story, but my post assumes reasonable buying to begin with...glen

invisible_kid_ said:
Well, I've had my Jem 7VWH for a month and a bit now. Its a fantastic guitar. My problem is, it's a bit too fantastic. The realisation has now come that I've spent over £1000 on a guitar that to be honest, I can't really do alot with. I'm too scared to really play it like I would my previous guitar, coz I really don't want to scratch it at all. I can't modify it at all as I'd like to, because again, it just scares me. And also, I'm probably not actually good enough to warrant owning an expensive guitar. And then there's the fact the only amp I have is a second hand carlsbro 40 watter that I picked up for £90. Talk about an imbalance...

To be honest, I'd be happy putting together something off of warmoth. At least then I could piss about with it, and replace bits without worrying, and still have something fairly nice to play. Then I'd also be able to buy a better amp, and sound slightly less ****ty overall.

Main problem is, about half of the price of the Jem was my 18th birthday present. My parents will be somewhat annoyed if I just sold it. But what else can I do?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just play the damn thing! Feel free to customize it all you want. After all, it's YOUR guitar.

Some people look at digs & scratches as a bad thing. I think it gives a guitar character.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts