Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have an Ibanez RG7321 (basswood body) with the stock pickups. I'd like to replace the bridge pickup because it is too muddy when played below B (I tune to A).
A tech guy from Dimarzio told me to get the Blaze II neck, or D Activator neck pickup to the bridge position.
Has anyone done this in a basswood bodied guitar? How does it sound?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
ibanez universe's (vai's 7 string model) comes with blaze IIs and they are basswood bodied.

d activator are more "metal" pickups so they might work. do some research into both by searching here on the forums.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ibanez universe's (vai's 7 string model) comes with blaze IIs and they are basswood bodied.

d activator are more "metal" pickups so they might work. do some research into both by searching here on the forums.
Yeah, I did search, but didn't find anything about how a blaze NECK will sound in the BRIDGE of a basswood guitar... :)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
the obvious first choice is either the D-sonic (made for drop tunings) or the crunch lab in the bridge.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I own a UV7BK which is a basswood body and they come stock with the Blaze 2 pups.
I play metal through a Mesa Boogie Roadster and I love the pups. If you go to
dimarzio's website you can read about them. Overall the EQ of the blaze pups
are scooped, meaning the bass and treble is boosted and the mids are lowered.
I love the sound but they can be a little muddy depending on how you set your EQ
on your amp. The D-sonic could be a better pup since you detune a whole step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts