Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres been some really good discussion about the performance of the breeds vs the Evos. Has anyone actually purchased the chrome version of either. I have decided which ones I want, but I was hoping to find some insite as to the durability of the chrome finish. I would prefer the chrome look but black would suite me just fine if it is fragile.
thanks
Major Tom

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have new PAF Joe and Fred chrometops on my JS1000, previously had chrome evos on it. One of the evos was mint when I installed it, the other one was far from it! I had the evos on for a few months and the edges started to wear away on the minty one. Now as I don't abuse my guitars and look after them, I assume that this is normal. I have a pic of the pups. You can just see that the chrome is on a plastic material, one side is clear and the other white.

I think that the chrome evos I have are from the original run when the JEM10's came out. I'm not sure that the new fred/joe chrometops are made by using the same process. If so, then unless you don't play the guitar, then the chrome will probably start wearing off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah they must be JEM10 EVOs. They told Magnus it was totally differnt this time around and far, far more durable. Its in a JEM/UV thread showing off his new JEM77BRMR. What do you mean twice as expensive? the pickup s twice as expensive with chrome toppers? I can't remeber where i read it but they say it only costs like $20 more.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The only ones I've seen for sale in the UK cost £240 for the chrome Fred/PAF Joe and £245 for the chrome Evos. The normal pups cost in the region of £120-£140 depending where you get them from. It's possible that the retailers adding a big mark up on the chromies, but I'm only guessing here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
Yeah they must be JEM10 EVOs. They told Magnus it was totally differnt this time around and far, far more durable. Its in a JEM/UV thread showing off his new JEM77BRMR. What do you mean twice as expensive? the pickup s twice as expensive with chrome toppers? I can't remeber where i read it but they say it only costs like $20 more.
I called Dimarzio, they said they list for around $200 a piece for Evo's and a little less for Breeds. They won't deal with me and I had to go thru Guitar Center to get the real price which is $150 each for the Evos and $125 for the Breeds. I hope the new ones are more durable, than previous ones, thats alot to pay just for the finish!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Godamn!!! $150-$125!!! Thats pretty insane man. Gurj no offence man but i find it hard to believe anybody would try and sell these for 240 pounds. and the normal ones only retail for $110 USD, which is way lower than 120-140 pounds.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
ibanez.shredder said:
Godamn!!! $150-$125!!! Thats pretty insane man. Gurj no offence man but i find it hard to believe anybody would try and sell these for 240 pounds. and the normal ones only retail for $110 USD, which is way lower than 120-140 pounds.
Welcome to rip-off Britain !!!!

Everything is more expensive in the UK.

·
Registered
310 Posts
markg5150 said:
Welcome to rip-off Britain !!!!

Everything is more expensive in the UK.
Haha! yeah its the same here in Australia, but a gap of that amount is outragous at the least.

An example of Aussie rip-offs: I just bought a brand new RG1527 which retails in Australia at $1500 USD whereas in USA....it only costs $1100 retail........ ABSOLUTLY INSANE!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ibanez.shredder said:
I agree with you. Your essentially paying the price of two black ones to get a chrome one. I'm going to shop around and see what the price differences (if any) are. If I can't get a deal, I'll just drop in the black ones and have some extra cash!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
ibanez.shredder said:
Yep, that's £240 for the pair of pups. Welcome to rip-off Britain. Basically they're about double the price of the normal ones. Thats what they were selling for (£245 for bridge & neck evos and £240 for fred/paf joe) on **** a while ago from a guy who's a UK DiMarzio retailer. Last time I contacted him, he'd sold out all the stock he had at that price. As I've never seen them for sale anywhere else, I couldn't say if that is what the normal UK retail price is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.