Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some talk as to how the ClipLock straps are too long for those of us who like to play relatively higher (like Steve Howe, etc).

Is it really that bad? I talked to my local DiMarzio dealer over a week ago about placing an order of the shorter ones. He kept looking at me like I was some idiot...I need them as fast as possible too, so would it be worth the wait?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've heard some talk as to how the ClipLock straps are too long for those of us who like to play relatively higher (like Steve Howe, etc).

Is it really that bad? I talked to my local DiMarzio dealer over a week ago about placing an order of the shorter ones. He kept looking at me like I was some idiot...I need them as fast as possible too, so would it be worth the wait?
As soon as he looked at you like that , you should have knocked his front teeth out and went to another store........:twisted:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I personally have this fear that they might scratch the paint job on a guitar, so that dissuaded me from replacing my schaller straplocks for the dimarzio cliplocks.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon as he looked at you like that , you should have knocked his front teeth out and went to another store........:twisted:
Well, I definitely won't be going back there, but good music stores here in Memphis aren't exactly plentiful, ironically. Especially DiMarzio dealers.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
im so used to sitting down while playing I have my guitar around my nipple area when standing LMAO..

Well maybe not that high but its close..

oh and never had a issue with stock straps from dimarzio

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
That's odd, I like to hold my guitar pretty high, and I love Cliplock straps.
Yeah, I'm the same.

My guitar is pretty high, kinda like how Petrucci holds it. And the standard cliplocks are fine for me. But I am tall though (6'4) so that might explain why I haven't had problems.

Getting shorter ones wouldnt have been a problem though, DiMarzio are usually really helpful.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have several and some are shorter than others. the longer ones were bothersome because the plastic adjustment piece would sit right on my shoulder. I cut the piece of strap that connected to that piece of plastic, then cut off about another foot of strap, and then sewed the new strap end back to the piece of plastic. Now all is fine.

·
JEM Winner #1
834 Posts
I personally have this fear that they might scratch the paint job on a guitar, so that dissuaded me from replacing my schaller straplocks for the dimarzio cliplocks.

Jimmy:smile:
I shortened mine for my RG570EX when i used to play with the guitar up high.
Just cut the ends off and sew em back on! I know nothing about sewing, but if you loop it enough times its got to be safe right? ;)

On another note, they have taken the paint off the body of the guitar, but its a very delicate finish anyway (matt, no clear coat). But id imagine it would still scratch any clear coated guitar too.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
My old green ones are definitely shorter than the newer ones. What I do is just leave the ends on the guitars and move the short straps around. If I was still out gigging I would definitely order a few of the shorter ones, though. It's a small difference, but a big difference ;) I haven't been able to really get used to the longer straps, though I have one guitar I'm really trying to get used to the longer strap on (a Carvin 727) because the blue color is awesome. I'd order some shorties directly from DiMarzio or from Matt's Music.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Dimarzio changed the size somewhere around the mid 90's I beleive it was, you can send your new Dimarzio strat to Dimarzio and request the shorter version, they will trade out, that's what I have had to do a few times, can't use the new version, to long.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's a shot of one of my Dimarzio straps. I shortened the connector to the horn by cutting it in half and then cutting a hole for the standard strap button. I cut the strap connector and shortened it as far as I could. The shortening of the strap itself you can't see in the photo. The rear button connector I dont' shorten but just cut the hole enough to allow the standard button to fit and I leave the rear strap connector the standard length. Mine all nicely fit now with no adjustment plastic on my shoulder and a nice logo shot visible at the top.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i find my clip-lock strap just right when fully shortened on my razorback but i am about 6 1 , it is still a tad lower then i guess i'd like but not enought for me to mess with .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine are all as short as they'll go. About 43.5 inches screw to screw. Still about an inch of slack while sitting. I have to put the logo end at my back or else the adjuster digs into my shoulder. I have one old one and it's somewhere around 8-10 inches shorter from what I remember.

Never heard about exchanging them. I have maybe six that could use replacement.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That's definetally my biggest complaint about the Dimarzio cliplocks - they're just too damn long on me! I love having my guitars real high up, but it simply doesn't go that high for me. It isn't that bad though, as it's pretty easy to get used to.

If you have the option, check if any guitars there have one installed and get a feel for it. It's definetally debatable (especially since not many people seem to be bothered by this).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm I was wondering if anyone else thought they were a bit long, I'm going to look into getting an exchange. I just bought one last month and it's much too long.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts