Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has tried both fusion and d-activators. I have a d-act set that I never got around to installing, but I am thinking about making the swap on the fusion's. I like a more metal sound. Heavy is better for me. Would it be worth it? If not I might go with Duncan Black Winters. Had those in another guitar and loved 'em.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have the "normal" d-activators, they arent really even close to as "metal" as people make them out to be. They certainly arent an X2N by any means. D-activators are just RIDICULOUSLY "neutral". This isnt necessarily what people want; but they definitely have the output to slam the front end of an amp, compared to say a ... paf pro I guess.

I have a WEIRD request for you though lol. Since youre looking to swap these pickups out anyway...can you do a quick "Test" for me? The fusion edges are voiced based on the Titan's, and I've mentioned it a couple times, but Titan NECK pickup in the BRIDGE position is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. You should really see how swapping the pickup locations works for you actually. Might work out the same lol.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard the fusions are similar to the Titans. I have had the d-activators for 2 years already so who knows when I'll get around to it. I am also contemplating getting a lower end model to use as a test.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I really like the D-Activator bridge... but never tried a D-Activator neck. Great for high gain, but surprisingly good for clean tones too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have heard the fusions are similar to the Titans. I have had the d-activators for 2 years already so who knows when I'll get around to it. I am also contemplating getting a lower end model to use as a test.
I have 6-string versions of both (note that all 7-string pups are different to their 6-string versions), but I can't really give you an accurate comparison, sorry. It's years since I used my D Activators in a tuning higher than D standard and I have only used the Fusion Edges in E standard so far (got them in a new guitar this year). It also wouldn't be much use to compare a maple neck-thru Xiphos to a mahogany / maple top bolt-on RG - even before you factor in the different tunings and string gauges.

What I can say is that both sets have a fairly neutral EQ. The D Activator's are higher output and seem to have more high-end than the Fusion Edge (especially the neck) - the highs are crisp and present, not shrill / ice picky. Fusion Edge sounds more modern. D Activators are tighter / more articulate and makes pinch harmonics easier (it's one of the best DiMarzios for that). Both are fairly versatile. I'm not convinced the 6-string Fusion Edges would sound great much below D standard (probably the tuning they were designed for), whereas I'm happy with D Activators in anything from E to B standard (I haven't gone lower yet).

Compared to an X2N, the D Activator is far easier to tame. It cleans up surprisingly well and is far more versatile than the name / marketing implies. This is possibly due to its 470mV output but only 11.4k resistance (the X2N has less than 10% more output, but almost double the resistance).

I haven't used the Titans, but have heard that Fusion Edge voicing is somewhere between Titans and D Activators (which are both fairly neutral EQ). Fusion Edge output is supposed to be slightly lower than the Titans (think Super Distortion / Tone Zone not X2N output).

"A more metal sound" is very subjective, but I've been happy with the tones I can achieve with D Activators for anything from NWOBHM / power metal / thrash / OSDM / melodic death metal / modern technical death metal. Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist) have both recorded with them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have 6-string versions of both (note that all 7-string pups are different to their 6-string versions), but I can't really give you an accurate comparison, sorry. It's years since I used my D Activators in a tuning higher than D standard and I have only used the Fusion Edges in E standard so far (got them in a new guitar this year). It also wouldn't be much use to compare a maple neck-thru Xiphos to a mahogany / maple top bolt-on RG - even before you factor in the different tunings and string gauges.

What I can say is that both sets have a fairly neutral EQ. The D Activator's are higher output and seem to have more high-end than the Fusion Edge (especially the neck) - the highs are crisp and present, not shrill / ice picky. Fusion Edge sounds more modern. D Activators are tighter / more articulate and makes pinch harmonics easier (it's one of the best DiMarzios for that). Both are fairly versatile. I'm not convinced the 6-string Fusion Edges would sound great much below D standard (probably the tuning they were designed for), whereas I'm happy with D Activators in anything from E to B standard (I haven't gone lower yet).

Compared to an X2N, the D Activator is far easier to tame. It cleans up surprisingly well and is far more versatile than the name / marketing implies. This is possibly due to its 470mV output but only 11.4k resistance (the X2N has less than 10% more output, but almost double the resistance).

I haven't used the Titans, but have heard that Fusion Edge voicing is somewhere between Titans and D Activators (which are both fairly neutral EQ). Fusion Edge output is supposed to be slightly lower than the Titans (think Super Distortion / Tone Zone not X2N output).

"A more metal sound" is very subjective, but I've been happy with the tones I can achieve with D Activators for anything from NWOBHM / power metal / thrash / OSDM / melodic death metal / modern technical death metal. Chris Broderick (Megadeth) and Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist) have both recorded with them.
Well said sir. I think people have a predisposed idea of what a "metal sounding" pickup should be; but that idea also appears to be changing too. For whatever reasons; I really enjoy the D-ac 7's I use my rg7 custom, but the 6 string variants left me "uninspired". Id make an analogy to "Reference sound" headsets. Yeah you're getting the "true, pure sound" but in general most people find they do like that bass bump :). I will say they are truly a "do anything" kinda pickup though; they split nicely too. As for the "subjectivity" part; yea 100%, but there are generalized "standards" as well.

One thing I WILL say; when I had my guitar with the fusion pickups, I never played them and went "These sound like the titans!" lol. I never made the connection until I was "told" they are voiced the same. That said; Titan's arent really "super hot" honestly, certainly not x2n levels. I found the bridge pickup to have way too much midrange for my tastes; and I didnt care for it at all. That neck pickup is one of the greatest things to come out of the dimarzio factory though...

Fusion edge's I found to be "fine". I never thought about swapping them around though. I'd actually like to try that out at some point. I have no freaking clue why, but I have THREE sets of x2ns lol. I dont even like these things haha. Time to "experiment" I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts