Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got these pickups on ebay (used). I installed them on my Ibanez RG350ZB-WK. They are dimarzio pickups. that means they have quality. but they're on cheaper guitars, not like the ones found on the $2000 signature guitars. I think they sound really good. it's just that when you put them side by side the pickups of vai and satriani, they fall short. But they can still kick butt. I think they will hold their own in a showdown. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
They're slightly brighter sounding than most other Dimarzios, very good note separation and articulation, almost flat response. The humbuckers coil split very nicely too.
A Boss GE-7 will make 'em sound like any pickup you want and boost the signal to kick the amps face in if required.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought them coz I know a famous guitars named Manuel Legarda used em' on his Ibanez RG770dx. It sounds like it but I thought it would have more output. It still sounds beefy but it's not the common 'great' sounding humbucker. It has it's own place in the tone spectrum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a set of IBZs on an RG1570 and upgraded it to Evolutions. Through an driven tone there is not a huge amount in it between the sounds. Both are good pickups with a great warm mid-range, but the Evolution seems to pick out harmonics a little easier. I got the Evolutions from a friend, but wouldn't say there was enough difference to justify paying for them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
They're slightly brighter sounding than most other Dimarzios, very good note separation and articulation, almost flat response. The humbuckers coil split very nicely too.
A Boss GE-7 will make 'em sound like any pickup you want and boost the signal to kick the amps face in if required.
I found them to be opposite, warmer than other DiMarzio pickups I have (Fred+Paf Pro combo and Crunch Lab+Liquifire combo). They are decent sounding, but found them a bit too muddy. Especially the neck pickup. Too hot and muddy for my test.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a set of IBZs on an RG1570 and upgraded it to Evolutions. Through an driven tone there is not a huge amount in it between the sounds. Both are good pickups with a great warm mid-range, but the Evolution seems to pick out harmonics a little easier. I got the Evolutions from a friend, but wouldn't say there was enough difference to justify paying for them.[/QUO

I found them kinda lifeless in the harmonics, just like you say, in an RG3120FANT I used to own. Just dull and uninspiring. I couldn't change them quick enough. Put a pair of evo's in that guitar and it WAS worth every penny.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed the ibz can sound a bit thin because of your pick attack. i'm not sure if it's real or maybe my ears aren't hearing it right. But overall, I like the sound. It sounds thundering. even if it's not like a dimarzio evolution or tone zone.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Over the years there's not been a lot of love for the IBZs here. Glad to see there are some folk giving them love. I actually think they are decent sounding pickups. I have them as standard in my '05 RG2550. My one criticism of that guitar is it sounds a bit dark, however that's the basswood and my preference for harder and brighter body materials these days to my ears. The pickups are good IMO. The neck especially is nice, as I'm not usually a fan of neck pickups, however it's a lot sharper and hotter than most neck PUs, so I like it a lot.

I also like the INFs in my S1 25th. I'm not exactly a tonehound but to my ears they are just fine!

For what its worth I've never swapped any pickups in a guitar. If I don't like the sound I don't buy it, end of... but then I've never tuned a car engine either. Again, if it's not fast enough, I don't buy it...

'87

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I like them as they still sound like Dimarzios but have their own quality. If I hadn't gone mental for the 36th Anniversaries they'd still be in my RG921.
36th's sound damn nice though! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I notice there are various kinds of IBZ pickups. like F3, C2, C1 etc. Are these all different from each other?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts