Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a RGA121 (my very first Ibanez). What a nice guitar but the stock pickups are ok but nothing great. They sound a little thin and sterile to my ears.

I was looking to buy a set of F-spaced Dimarzios. I've been searching and reading through the forum and located some threads that has helped me narrow down my list.

I play a variety of music from mostly 1960's classic rock up to current hard rock/metal, so I need a versatile set of pickups. I would like pickups that sounds great when overdriven. I also love harmonics so pickups that can deliver the goods there are a must! One thing is that the pickups must clean up nicely when I back off of them. I don't want a muddy tone or ear piercing/ice pick tone. Finally, the neck and middle pickups must balance fairly well with each other.

Bridge:
I'm leaning heavily towards the "EVO-2". I was considering a "Tone Zone" or a "Breed bridge" but I figured since the body is Mahogany that they may sound too dark in the guitar.

Neck:
This is really the hardest one to pick. My initial reaction is to get an "Evolution neck" pickup but I'm not anywhere near as set on it as I am with the bridge pickup. I'm looking at the "Air Norton", "Breed neck", "PAF Joe" and a "PAF Pro" as well.

Any additional help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lotta love on this forum for the EVO2-PAFpro combination. I'm wondering if I the EVO2 is too much of a pickup with 375 output. How do both of these pickups clean up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts