Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JS1000, its on its third set of pickups, about the same for all my guitars. Neck is the seymour duncan PATB-1. had it since it came out love it, no problems. the bridge is a D-sonic DP207 from dimarzio, this is john petrucci's sig pickup. tons of power, great sound, and lately tons of problems. This guitar is a standard coil split circuit for a HH setup, the hi pass filter circuit i took with the first pickup change, that seemed pointless, all the switches are the stock push pull pots that the guitar came with. anyway, about a month ago, i was at a gig and my bridge pickup was incredibly thin, in either the humbucker or single coil circuit, just no beans. So all i did to fix it was take the bridge pick up out of the coil splitting circuit. The configuration was now red is soldered to the pickup selector switch, black and white are soldered together, and green is tied with bare and soldered to ground. all the power is back, more than i remeber before infact. im stoked. This last about two weeks, then back to hardly a signal at all. Suspecting my work, i started fresh, i snipped off my black+white connections, restripped em, made sure it was solid connection, soldered the connections quite nicely, and slipped a piece of heat shrink tubing over the finished product. back in business, tons of power and smile on my face. But again, only about two weeks. Well i again suspected my work and clamped hard on the joint with vice grips, and noticed a change in signal. so i took off the shrink tubing and pried the connection apart until the wires were barely held together, and went down and bought me some new parts. new volume and tone knob, both 500k, the tone is a push pull pot. i soldered the new volume knob connections, testing after each little step, and as soon as i soldered the ground wire from the pickup selector switch to the volume knob, the power was back, mind you with hardly a connection between the white+black wires from said pickup. i was stoked, so i replaced the tone knob anyway, and put the coil split circuit back to standard wiring. all was well. this lasted one day. the very next day it was back to crap signal, however now if i switch to the single coil position, the signal coil circuit has full power.

Now in the image, lets assume i have the white+black wires of the problematic pick up on post 5, if i connect post 6 to ground, i get a lot of signal back, but the circuit is microphonic and doesn't sound the way the pickup should. hard to explain but for instance pinch harmonics are INCREDIBLY hard to achieve, while its almost too easy comparatively when on the neck pickup.

The neck pickup has not been just peaches and cream through all of this. not a problem in the world. is it just time to send this pick up back to dimarzio?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
you need a multimeter (vom) to ohm out the coil during a failure. This will rule out all. You aren't soldering with a soldering gun are you? Instead of a soldering iron?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i might be dumb n ugly, but thats only recognized in the state of california. i know, bad soldering joke. i never was the cool guy. I'm also of the guys that tend to think of solder as just glue, and go for optimal physical contact. anyhoo, i did ohm out the pup, it ohms out fine when i test it. I ended up calling dimarzio, they tell me the leads might have a problem and told me to peel off the tape on the back of the pickup pand have a look-see, the tech also said the paint on these guitars is conductive, and this guitar in particular has regularly given crazy symptoms which was traced down to a fault where leads were touching the paint. all well and good, but in my mind this would almost definitely be a grounding issue, and that should show up circuit wide, not just on one pickup. im gonna double check/insulate and see. This is the first time in the 50+ guitar's i;ve wired i;ve had a seemingly incurable problem :(

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
is it just time to send this pick up back to dimarzio?
i think yes. i've seen too many people bringing their guitars to me because of something weird on their D-Sonics (and D-Activators also). they often squeal with no reasons (low volume, amp placed on another room, 7-8mm pickup-to-strings clearance), or start sounding bad after some days they've been wired. bah...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts