Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a rg1570 with an evo2 and paf pro and absolutely love that bridge pickup but that guitar stays in standard tuning.

i have an s1625 and that floats between step down and drop c tunings and i want your suggestions for a good pickup for the bridge.... i'm thinking maybe an air nortan for the neck and maybe even one for my rg. also had the thought of a breed for the s' bridge but i'm not too sure how good it will sound with lower tunings. what about the d sonic??

btw i play metal but versatile pickups are always welcome

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't D sonic made to be better for lower tunings?
hmm i was just reading some more info on the d sonic. i always did like petrucci's tone so maybe i answered my own question.
say i wanted to play in standard tuning and i installed the pickup like it recommends on the dimarzio site for drop tunings(bar magnet closer to the bridge), how would this sound? there wouldn't be that big a difference in tone depending on the bar magnet placement right?

still, i'd like anyone else's suggestions. we don't have that 30 day return policy in australia :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
If its Basswood i wouldnt put a D Sonic in there. Great pickups as they are, they dont Mix Awsomly, in my oppinion with Bass wood.

XN2 Works well for balls out distortion.
Evo manages Drop C and DGCFAD tuning well and is good in bass wood.
Super 3 is a wicked choice.
Steves special, havent personly used one low tuned but they are solid PU's as it is and have a similar EQ to the Blaze which is one of the best 7 picups ive heard.
Probably pull off a breed but i find that a little more gain is better when messing with lower tunings...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok, I have an S470 downtuned to drop C with a pair of Evo's on it and it screams, great for riffing even better for leads, they sound decent clean but really shine with distortion, I have a post hardcore/metalcore band and they suit that style perfectly, http://www.romeotragedy.com.ar if you wanna listen, it was recorded using the S into an all valve Soldano SLO100 copy amp made here in my country pushed with a Jeckyll & Hyde, only using the TS808 part of it with an MXR 10 band eq in the fx loop

·
Registered
149 Posts
I swapped out a bad PRS bridge pup in my DK2. Replaced it with a DiMarzio Evo, and with the Alder body, Drop-D, and C sound pretty freaking good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
X2N is my reccomendation. Michael Romeo's tone is godly, and he tunes down and uses one of these bad boys.
my only problem with the x2n is the high output but i do quite like michael romeo's tone. more so his older tone though

that aside i think i'm starting to sway more towards the d sonic for the bridge and the air norton for the neck

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I own a D-Sonic and I highly recommend it. Very versatile and great with metal, rock. I love the tones I can get with it, great harmonics too for a "drop tuning" pickup. Good plam mute sound, great single note seperation and clarity and very large chord sound. Actually too big for some of the rock stuff I do, but great for metal (my band covers Thin Lizzy a lot and they used a lot thinner sound). None of the irritaing high note buzziness that a lot of ceramic pups do. Also, I have an HSS guitar and it still blends well with my fastrack humbucking singles which aren't the most raging insane metal pups in the world. I really am pleased, the D-Sonic made me a DiMarzio man.

I know Petrucci isn't totally metal but he gets some of the best metal tones and riffs out there with it if you listen to the Newest Dream Theater album "Systematic Chaos" it really is a fair representation of wha tthe D-Sonic can do, even though he's playing through more Mesas than the Mesa factory actually has and he has a complicated setup.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know Petrucci isn't totally metal but he gets some of the best metal tones and riffs out there with it if you listen to the Newest Dream Theater album "Systematic Chaos" it really is a fair representation of wha tthe D-Sonic can do, even though he's playing through more Mesas than the Mesa factory actually has and he has a complicated setup.
It's also evident on their Chaos In Motion DVD. I finally managed to get the limited edition copy that came with three CDs recorded from several shows on the '07/'08 tour. His tone is amazing live, as it is in studio!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts