Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this Fast Track 1 in my RG760 since I got 'em years ago (i know the pup itself was made in the early 90s). I want to upgrade this pup into something more "fluid" yet loud enough to match an X2N in the bridge. So far, I've narrowed my selection down to a Pro Track or an Air Norton S or something to that extent. I've read a TZ in the neck works well on some guitars but how about a TZ S in the neck position? I've even considered a BC-1 since Dimarzio describes it as a modded Air Norton S suited for hi-gain... perhaps the BC-2 works the same way as well?
I've recently tuned the axe to E standard. What would be the better choice? Any suggestions other than the above stated?

Reg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've had great luck with the Dimarzio Chopper in the neck position. It gives me that fluid, bubbly Yngwie-esque tone. It's bright and articulate but has enough oomph to kick the amp. I go against the grain by disliking darker sounding neck pickups like all the ones you mentioned. I like a brighter neck pickup with less bass and mids than my bridge pickup. The way I figure it, the pickup is already going to sound rounder because it's in the neck position. ;) BTW, I have tried an Air Norton and a Tone Zone (straight humbucker versions) in the neck position and I didn't like either of them.

As far as matching up with an X2N, it's a little lower in output than the other pickups you've mentioned but not much (260 mV). I'm using the Chopper with the Tone Zone but I generally don't worry about balancing volume between the bridge and neck pickup because with the natural compression of distortion does that for me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did consider the Chopper... the clips on the Dimarzio site ain't too bad plus I think andy timmons has it on his axe. I've read the Pro Track is like a single coil version of a Paf Pro (which is definitely my reference neck pup) and if that's the case, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I did have an Air Norton a while ago and I didn't quite like it on an S as it sounded very nasal, kinda like talking while pinching your nose. Then again, I tried out a 27fret Xiphos the other time which came with an Air Norton S to match with a D-Activator bridge and that combo sounded pretty good... figured an Air Norton S should well with an X2N.
Not really concerned with balancing volume differences when it comes to S-S-H setup's, more concerned with sustain/drive between the bridge and neck positions. I love most of my neck pups on my other axes (mostly bright pups: D-activator neck, Paf Pro, Breed, and a BKP Cold Sweat) and my RG760 is being left out cause the Fast Track 1 in the neck somehow lacks sustain and sensitivity to dynamics... seems like I have to pick harder when I play fast runs.
Hopefully the Chopper resolves that...

Reg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive about neck pickup output as well. The Chopper works for me (for a single coil neck pup) but if it's a humbucker, I go for the PAF Joe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts