Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around 2010 i thought about making my own DNA Jem Replica because the prices were so high. Bought a body from Ebay, a floral neck, and tried to save up for the trem and pickups. Multiple years pass, i kinda forget about the whole project and i wanted Evolution pickups in the custom color scheme, and that was impossible to order anywhere in The Netherlands at the time. I knew the only guy that distrubuted them at that time, but he stopped pretty soon after i started the project.

The neck took a long time to get here and when it arrived, it didn't fit. Returning products to the USA at that time was A LOT harder so i still have that one laying around. Ordered a new neck from AliExpress and somehow that one did fit. It has a lot of problems though. It is not perfectly straight, a lot thicker (more a Les Paul style neck) and the fretboard is insanely dry. Also the frets are not level so i will have to take care of that aswell. But it was only $80 so i didn't expect much anyway. Scalloped fretboard from 12th to 24th is nice aswell.

The pickups i got from banjomikez because someone over here recommended him, thanks a lot for that! There is an issue though. All pickups work fine and sound great, but when i switch to middle and split neck, i get the green part of the neck pickup. The way i wired it should've been the black part. There is also a pretty big buzzing when i don't touch anything on the guitar. It stops buzzing when i touch anything (strings, tuners, trem, switch, potmeters, just anything, so it doesn't feel like a grounding issue. My other guitars don't have this.

All in all it plays and sounds fine but with all the money, time and effort combined, i would've rather just bought a real one i think. Really not worth the hassle (yes i'm still proud i did this myself).

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument
Green Guitar accessory Paint Line Urban design

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory
Musical instrument Green Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

·
Registered
129 Posts
Around 2010 i thought about making my own DNA Jem Replica because the prices were so high. Bought a body from Ebay, a floral neck, and tried to save up for the trem and pickups. Multiple years pass, i kinda forget about the whole project and i wanted Evolution pickups in the custom color scheme, and that was impossible to order anywhere in The Netherlands at the time. I knew the only guy that distrubuted them at that time, but he stopped pretty soon after i started the project.

The neck took a long time to get here and when it arrived, it didn't fit. Returning products to the USA at that time was A LOT harder so i still have that one laying around. Ordered a new neck from AliExpress and somehow that one did fit. It has a lot of problems though. It is not perfectly straight, a lot thicker (more a Les Paul style neck) and the fretboard is insanely dry. Also the frets are not level so i will have to take care of that aswell. But it was only $80 so i didn't expect much anyway. Scalloped fretboard from 12th to 24th is nice aswell.

The pickups i got from banjomikez because someone over here recommended him, thanks a lot for that! There is an issue though. All pickups work fine and sound great, but when i switch to middle and split neck, i get the green part of the neck pickup. The way i wired it should've been the black part. There is also a pretty big buzzing when i don't touch anything on the guitar. It stops buzzing when i touch anything (strings, tuners, trem, switch, potmeters, just anything, so it doesn't feel like a grounding issue. My other guitars don't have this.

All in all it plays and sounds fine but with all the money, time and effort combined, i would've rather just bought a real one i think. Really not worth the hassle (yes i'm still proud i did this myself).

View attachment 19600 View attachment 19601
View attachment 19598 View attachment 19599
That turned out really nicely! Great job. I believe what you describe is a grounding issue, which is why the buzzing stops when you touch it--you're serving as the ground. That swirl turned out terrific! Surpringly nice neck for $80.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great job! You could have bought one... But now you have experience that otherwise you wouldn't. That's a priceless skill learned. Hope you isolated your grounding problem, they can be irritating to hunt down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts