Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
26,524 Posts
All are 25 fret. The tops are anything specific. Technically they could be called "mildly figured". There's just enough figure to keep them from being plain, but not enough to really have a figure look.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanx man...

Do you know why the 10s come with 25 frets? Paul's request?

Is it noticeable when playing? (same scale + 1 fret should result in narrower slots, right?) :?:?:?

·
Super Moderator
7,433 Posts
I believe its because Paul wanted to be able to fret the high C on the B string. I think he wanted to play a cello concerto he'd studied, and needed the extra fret.

Well that's what I heard!!! :p

·
Registered
623 Posts
marianozz said:
Is it noticeable when playing? (same scale + 1 fret should result in narrower slots, right?) :?:?:?
Slots? Do you mean the spacing between the frets? They're the same for a given scale length regardless of the number of frets. You're not fitting 25 frets into the same space as the usual 24. (The scale length refers to the total distance between the nut and the bridge.)

The added fret does push the neck pickup a little bit toward the bridge though. You can see the difference if you compare the 10th to a regular PGM. Or an RG. Or a Jem. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh i see... i assumed the neck pickup was in the exact same spot as any other RG body, so the spacing between frets was smaller...

Nice story Jono, thanx... crazy that this particular detail made production (even if its a limited run) seeing they need to cut the body a little different and make a different neck/board...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
sirocco said:
That guitar is just insane, man. People say the JEM is gaudy, but this just takes home the gaudiness prize.
:lol: This was build as a joke by Music Man whereas the jems are taken seriously by most people.....which would make the jems (esp "the bling one" and "the pimp one" that are in production right now) the gaudiest guitars money can buy :wink:
Have you not heard of Spinal Tap and Nigel Tufnel....

ilia

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
moro said:
Oh oops, you're right. So the pickup positions on the 10th are no different from the other PGMs, I guess. :p
That's almost correct. The middle position has the "Tone Zero" circuitry, which does just that, in that position, the middle coil sounds like the tone pot (which doesn't exist on this guitar, I know) is rolled down to zero.

More info: Paul said the best Les Pauls he's played were the lightest ones, so he asked Ibanez to find the lightest mahogany/maple combo they could, which I assume is the reason why they used that lightly figured maple instead of the typical flamed wood.

I have no backup for this, but I always thought PG wanted to recreate the Metheny model (he likes it a lot). If you think about it, the top looks just like it, and the Tone Zero thing gives him a jazzy tone at the flick of a switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts