Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a mint 1991 RG550 so there is no wear on the maple fretboard. However the frets could really use a polish and I usually use Gorgomyte cloth. Don't really need to do the whole board, just the frets.

Never had another maple fretboard. Is there a protective finish on here? I've read the Gorgomyte will discolor it if there isn't.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
if you need to polish up your frets, you can buy some blue painters tape and use it to tape off the frets. Then you can take 0000 steal wool or 1200 and 1500 grit sand paper to polish and clean. You can use a deoxidizer like McGuire's swirl-X or Scratch-X on a finished neck. I wouldn't recommend those two on a raw wood like ebony or rosewood but for finished maple, it works like a champ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I can't tell if there's a thin clear coat or not. The back of the neck obviously has something, the fret board is real smooth too so I'm guessing it does. Just to be safe I went and bought some blue painter's tape and will stop being lazy. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
if you need to polish up your frets, you can buy some blue painters tape and use it to tape off the frets. Then you can take 0000 steal wool or 1200 and 1500 grit sand paper to polish and clean. You can use a deoxidizer like McGuire's swirl-X or Scratch-X on a finished neck. I wouldn't recommend those two on a raw wood like ebony or rosewood but for finished maple, it works like a champ.
This is what I do when necessary, though I also put some tape sticky side up on the pickups as the magnets will attract the little bits of metal dust this will shake loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts