Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question but humor me...

My main guitar is a JS1200 with the Edge trem system. I just bought a mid 80's MIJ Fender Strat with their "System 1" locking trem system. It's a bit different than a Floyd (I honestly haven't messed with it a great deal) - for example, it doesn't really sit a recessed cavity like the Edge trem on my JS1200. I've been told that you don't have to do one string change at a time as most people do with a Floyd.

Talking to some of the people with System 1's, I also found out that many are not locking the nut plate and just using the normal tuners for the guitar and not ever messing with the fine tuners.

In theory, could I do this with a Edge/Floyd system - i.e. not lock the nut plate down? I'm not doing any whammy bar tricks (most of the time, I don't have the trem arm in) so it's not critical for me to have the strings locked down. Am I missing something obvious to the workings of the Edge/Floyd??

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Well, If your not using the trem. And If it's too much trouble for ya. You can probably leave it off. I would also strongly suggest getting a tremol-no as well.

·
Registered
941 Posts
For starters, you don't have to change one string at a time. I actually advise against that as string changes are when you should be cleaning the fretboard and polishing the frets.

2, you don't NEED to use the locking trem, but with the aggressive style of use the FR type normally gets, it makes life much easier.

3. Break angle of the string behind the nut is surely different on the fender, which may make it more stable than an Ibby when not locking the tuners down, I am not familiar with taht trem though so take the last bit as a grain of salt.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think the big question is, what is the benefit to not locking it down? If you're trying to avoid spending the extra minute or two it takes to lock and fine tune, I would argue that the better tuning stability -- wild whammy work or no -- more that makes up for the small amount of time spent.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Can you? Yes.

Should you? No. The locking nut is crucial to the tuning stability of any edge equipped guitar, whether you're using mild or extreme vibrato on the tremolo. Your guitar *will* without question go out of tune more easily and more often without the locking nut locked down.

Thats the long and short of it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'll add I rarely lock the E&A string pad down for two reasons, and I don't have any issues from it.

Reason 1. I play heavy strings, like 12-56 on FR type guitars so locking the pad down always pulls it WAY sharp, and it makes tuning up easier for me.

Reason 2. I occasionally like to drop E to D, and this makes that easier as well.
If your guitar is setup perfectly, then it'll be pretty stable no matter what ya do to it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
For starters, you don't have to change one string at a time. I actually advise against that as string changes are when you should be cleaning the fretboard and polishing the frets.
I find it interesting that's the recommendation found in the Ibanez manual. I always wondered why. Maybe they were tired of all the complaints from all of the people who didn't know to properly set up a floating bridge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts