Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an rg with an original edge trem, and it was set up for e standard with very very light strings.

im changing brand, going to heavier guage strings and lowering the tuning a full step.

ive changed the three springs to be /|\ - but even when i screw the claw screws all the way in, as far as they go, the tension isnt enough to let my block drop loose.

is there something else I can do? is the only way to get around that an extra spring?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know what was on there, either 8's or 9's, but i am changing to 10-52's.

would the drop in tuning roughly equal out the thicker tension? i must be confusing myself somewhere....

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
You should be able to set the guitar up with 10's and standard tuning with 3 springs, so dropping a full tone really should not be a problem. It is possible that your springs are knackered though, but unlikely.

When you say that you have screwed the claw screws in all the way, is that to the end of the thread or further? They will screw in beyond the thread.

To answer your other question, a drop in tuning will counter the effects of heavier gauge strings.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure, sorry about the wait, i was just playing the guitar while i had it blocked with picks.

but - how exactly do you want me to take the pictures? if i take the pickblock out and screw the claw screws in all the way, the trem will dive?

ive had no tension on the springs for the last hour or so, maybe that might make a difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, i took some photos with the picks in, and then i went to take photos with the screws all the way in, and well, its working with a lot of travel left in the screws.

the springs will be replaced on monday :)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I've got 10-52s on my RG tuned a step down to D with 3 springs in parallel, no problems setting up what so ever. ;) 3 springs is fine. I have the spring claw about 15mm from the side of the cavity measuring from the backside of the claw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.