Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 Prestige RGs - RGA121, with AN-TZ Dimazios, and RGT220H, stock. I already noticed before, that sustain around 15th fret seems to die quickly on both guitars, but never really paid attention to this. I now have also EB MM JP6, and, compared to my Ibbies, it's like having a compressor on all the time - definitely better. An yes, my guitars are properly set up, no buzzing / choking anywhere, and pickups are even a bit lower then recommended, so no magnetic pull.

Is it due to different pickups in the JP? Or it's just the way it is - i.e. build issue? Not that Prestiges have it that bad, but EB MM definitely "sings" better.

Makes me sad.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've always felt the sustain was lacking on my prestige.

Many things will mess with your sustain:
Relief/Action set too low or unlevel frets
Floating trems rob some of the sustain
Pickups set too high
Any loose screws, bolts, or whatever

After using a tremol-no or just simply blocking the bridge, lowering my pickups, and giving it a little more relief; I was able to increase sustain greatly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always felt the sustain was lacking on my prestige.

Many things will mess with your sustain:
Relief/Action set too low or unlevel frets
Floating trems rob some of the sustain
Pickups set too high
Any loose screws, bolts, or whatever

After using a tremol-no or just simply blocking the bridge, lowering my pickups, and giving it a little more relief; I was able to increase sustain greatly.
well, bro, as I said earlier, all my guitars are set up well. no buzzing, slight relief, etc. i prefer my pickups lower than stock, so i don't think pickups are slowing strings down :)
and RGA121 has fixed bridge, it has to sustain for days

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What gauge strings?

Could also be poorly seated frets.
10 to 52
on both guitars? one is a bolt-on with fixed bridge, the other one is a neckthrough with a floating trem. nah. i'll post samples tomorrow.
i seem to remember somebody mentioning similar problem with the S series; and someone from the forum - I think it was Rich, but please, don't quote me on that LOL - said it was a sort of "documented issue"

???

PS i'm going to bring both Ibbies to a tech a) just for the hell of it :) b) i know him really well so it's free! yay! :p

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The problem I had with my S5470 when I first got it (200:cool: was a "decay" problem anywhere from the 15th fret up; even after the fact I shoved a D-Activator neck and a D-Activator X bridge.
It's been in its case since springtime so I decided to take it out last week and do some adjustments, mainly straightening the neck and raising the bridge height. That sorta fixed my "decay" problem; it sustains as it should vs sustaining then having it "choked" into middle of the note then decay.
As for the RGA121, I too have an RGA121H (with 56-11) and had a tech install a graphtech nut and setup for Drop B a year or so ago. Haven't noticed any sustain problems since then but recently realized that the strings in the upper frets are kinda low, almost "clanky" sounding but still sustained. So raising it fixed it :p Might have to take out a neck shim though...
In other words, I think you need some minor adjustments that's affecting the upper frets :)

PS
doesn't the JP6 have a brass block in the bridge? if so, i believe that's the reason why the JP6 sings/sustain better :)

Reg

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
At the 15th fret, relief should not really come into play. The neck is basically flat at that point. If the neck angle were set wrong, that could be a problem. Also, Ibanez guitars are sort of expected to be played through high gain amps, so some sustain tends to be sacrificed in favor of low action.

On some guitars, since the neck is basically flat around the upper frets, the frets are set to fall away, meaning that the string clearance slightly increases as you go up the frets. This makes the notes ring cleaner and have greater sustain, which is very important if you're playing a clean sound.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here you have a couple of samples
i tried to play a short cleanish melodic line so you can hear the difference, it's subtle, but noticeable nonetheless

RGT220H
RGA121
EB MM JP6

Right click and choose "save target as..."

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts